Spoonbills?

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by ThaWstSide, Mar 16, 2009.

1. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Ok, I have a question here...

In the state of Indiana it is against the law to fish for Spoonbills, or as the DNR Fishing guide states it is unlawful to "possess" a Spoonbill...
    It also states, that if you "catch/snag/hook" a spoonbill you must immediately return it to the water...

So, my question is... if it is unlaw to possess them, I understand a fish hatchery/farm to have them from breeding, and raising them. My question is, if they are listed for sale and you can purchase them from a hatchery/farm to the general public, is it still illegal to possess them from this particular manner? after purchase?

Anybody here able to answer this?

2. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I would think you would have to get a permit to posess them

3. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    What's a spoonbill?

4. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
  5. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    OK, I wanted to make sure we we're thinking of the same thing. I've heard of flatheads called spoonbills before. Gosh, I didn't know hatcheries sold paddlefish...never heard of that but it certainly doesn't surprise me. You raise a good question. My first thought was that if I had the paperwork/receipt showing I purchased the paddlefish I would be OK. But I don't know.

Do you know a hatchery that does have them for sale? Do they have a website?

6. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Not for 2009, when I was going thru the process of trying to buy a home last year the property had the beginnings of a pond on the property, and it had a stream that ran into the pond, and out of the pond. I was looking at different hatcheries to try and stock the pond (not with spoonbills!) if everything worked out. However, nothing worked out at that moment so it was all for not.

I was just curious after reading about the spoonbills in the DNR fishing guide for 2009. I know someone that caught one up north not too long ago, and told them on the phone that they better put it back quick before they got into some trouble.

7. wormybass3

wormybass3 New Member

State:
    pinson, alabama
    about 20 years ago in alabama you could catch spoonbills.we used to catch them in north alabama on the tennessee river below dams.people would sell their eggs. they were endandered at one time.i have heard of people having catfish farms stocking them in alabama.

8. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Yea, I been reading up a bit about them recently. A few states allow a small harvest of them yearly but only for a few months a year. And the fisherman who harvest them turn them over to a place on shore to extract the eggs for sale, and the trade off is they get the fish cleaned and packaged for free and returned to them minus the eggs. However, in Indiana there is nothing allowed when it comes to them, you catch, or snag I should say and immediate release or you pay fines, penalties, and possible jail time. <shrugs> I would like to fight with one, but my freedom is more important!

9. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    I believe they are endangered in Indiana so they are stocking them to bring them back. I think you can still legally snag them on the Ohio River following Kentucky's regulation. There was a big article a couple years back of guys selling the eggs and the DNR put a big sting out and rounded up a whole racket of guys (IN & KY) making 100 k plus a year.

You can still snag them in Illinois, Missouri, Kansas and Oklahoma I believe. The I-70 bridge crossing the Mississippi is a hot spot. Excellent table fair. Similar to flathead but a little firmer. I never had much luck trying for them. Had guys bring steaks for me on the jobsite when I lived in Kansas. They got them on the river between Lake of the Ozarks and Trumnan in Missouri.

10. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I saw a episode on Animal Planet that featured that sting you're talking about that the DNR did. Pretty cool.

11. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Have any of you ever fought one of them?, I was reading an article about how hard they fight, and of course snagging them you hook them just about anywhere, but heard the tail is the worst... Better be ready for maybe the fight of your life depending on the size, and been told that if you hook a mature adult that they will wear you out!!!

12. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Talk to River Scum. He caught one while walleye fishing once...I think on the Wabash.

13. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Jim, I caught one by accident and dumb luck a few years ago. While fishing a spill way at J.E.Roush lake for catfish. The fishing was slow and had no bites so I reeled my line in a few feet and felt some pressure on my line. I set the hook and the battle was on. I got the fish in but my hook actually got hung up on a two rig set up with crappie jigs that was wrapped around this fish. This fish went about 13 pounds and was beautiful in the water. Kind of had a similiar look to that of a shark with the fin out of the water. I took a picture and let it go. I kept the crappie rig with jigs and line and have it hanging on my wall across the picture of the fish. It was a neat experience.

14. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    In Oklahoma you can snag spoonbills year round. The best time is in the spring when they run up the rivers. My largest was 57 lbs. They are one of the hardest fighting fish I have caught.They can bust tackle if you get a big one in swift water. Here you can only keep one a day, you can snag all you want, but as soon as you keep one you are done for the day. Each one you keep you have to tag.

15. EVANSVILLE KING

EVANSVILLE KING New Member

State:
    indiana
    :confused2:

16. EVANSVILLE KING

EVANSVILLE KING New Member

State:
    indiana
    Just so there is no confusion my response is posted before the intial question about spoonbill, but it is tied in in my box, I am not the one with the quwestions

17. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    I find this to be interesting how you come across with your reply... Now go back and read my very 1st post! Nowhere did I state I was fishing for Spoonbills!, I simply asked a question about them. Would I eventually like to fight with one?, yes I would. But I understand the greater good here and that is to see them remain on this earth past me, and hopefully my children.

Yes, I have researched why they are illegal to possess, I know why people catch them, I know alot of things, not everything, but alot of things.

18. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    If I still lived in Indiana you better believe I would have snagged this year. It is still legal in Kentucky and I used to get a Kentucky License so I could fish unlimited poles on the Ohio River. I would snag them on the Ohio still. They are not that uncommon on the Ohio River and if you ask anybody that snags (legally) from the Kentucky bank they will tell you that.

Also, that sting happened really close to my house, at Markland Dam. My mom taught alot of the peoples kids who were arrested.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102601 There is a link to some nice paddlefish snagged out of the Ohio this year, from kentucky.

19. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    you can fish for them, they cant prove you were,so.:roll_eyes: i wouldn't do anything but a very fast pic and a release though! pretty cool beasts and yes they fight! if you want to see some in a gravel pit, go to "france park" off 24, east of Monticello. i have seen them cruising the shallows there while fishing in one of the pits. they all had tags in their backs. that would be cool to dive with them in that clear water!

westside,you have them over your way, in the wabash and tippy rivers. its too bad, you also have many a fish monger over you way that take them! :sad2:

20. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    My father snagged a 55lber fishing for saugers at the Newburgh Locks and Dam in december 2008.