Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Big Sam Arkansas
6,244 Posts
Glad you joined! Welcome from Arkansas..... And yes we have spoonbills...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was working at the mill in Valliant and staying in Hugo. I did a good bit of fishing below the Hugo Dam. One time while I was fishing on the Hugo side, a man about 20 yards below me was fishing for Crappie with several jigs on his line when he caught a spoon bill. Being from Georgia I was amazed as he told me they ate micro organisms and the one he snagged was prolly 15-20 pounds. This man was as gentle as possible and released this fish ASAP. When I posted this on FB, a friend in Missouri told me they had cartilage like a shark and were superb when grilled.
Back in the mid-sixties a group of us boys and one of our coaches from a local area school were out fishing on a small lake on the Choctaw Nation Capitol grounds by the name of Lake Nanih Waiyah.. Our coach climbed down the steep bank where the small dam outlet was and hand caught s spoonbill that was in a small pool of water there. It was around the 20 pound class as I remember. The little stream, not much wider than 5 or so in most places wandered through the pasture land and eventually ran into the Kiamichi river about 2 miles away. That is the only paddle fish I have ever seen in the area and it was in a very unusual place.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts