spoonbills at hugo?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by oklahoma caveman, Jan 26, 2009.

1. oklahoma caveman

oklahoma caveman New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    has anybody ever snagged spoonbills below the hugo dam? im wantin to try snagging for them, but dont really know of anywhere close that has them. really just hoping that i mite be able to get into some at hugo

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    From all that I have heard, spoonbills are only in the waterways of the Arkansas River. Never heard of any in the Red. Likewise, never heard of them in the N or S Canadian, Washita, or Cimmaron.

3. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Sorry... No report of spoonies ever being outside the Arkansas River. If ya wanna go snaggin, ya gotta get far enough north that ya can't smell Texas no more...:wink:

4. oklahoma caveman

State:
    oklahoma
    huh. well i know that they have come from below millwood dam in AR. it has no connection with the arkansas river. but il take yalls words for it. thanks to both of you for replying

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Here is an extract from the Oklahoma Fishing Guide of 2009.

Paddlefish range throughout the U.S., from Montana to Louisiana. While some states have seen dramatic decreases in paddlefish, fisheries surveys in Oklahoma indicate that populations have increased in the past few years! In Oklahoma, they are found mainly in the Grand, Neosho and Arkansas River systems. In 1992 fisheries biologists began an effort to re-introduce paddlefish to some of the waters they once roamed. Dams on several rivers had blocked the annual movements of paddlefish in several river systems. Hatchery professionals raised young paddlefish at fish hatcheries in Byron and Tishomingo and then released them in Kaw, Oologah, Texoma, and Hugo lakes.

So, if released in Hugo, it is conceivable that some may have made it out the dam and into the river.

6. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    talking about spoonbills! 1-24-09 while fishing on kerr my bait clicker started screaming! man i set the hook to this monster ,what a fight, after a few minutes he surfacedand broke the water into to the air! a 37lb. spoonbill! somehow he got his bill wraped up in my line! he stayed long enough to pose for a picture and off he went! what a day!

Attached Files:

7. 5511

5511 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    They're in the Red, just no at thick nor as sought after as in the Arkansas system. I know of some good ones being snagged below Texoma in the early spring. Just be sure you stay downstream far enough to comply with the regs.

8. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Ya'll ain't gotta be that hard on Texas do ya? Anyway they snag a lot of them below Shreveport on the Red river. They just spent a lot of money on restoring their habitat on the Big Cypress river just a little upstream of Jefferson, Texas. I never caught one but they are in there.

9. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    AWSHUCKS- I will make a phone call and check on Hugo. I am certainly not aware of any spoonbills in Hugo although I thought they were known to be in the red river.:embarassed:

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    From what I remember of the Kiamichi before they built Hugo dam, your not gonna do too good snagging in that river unless you want logs. LOL

11. oklahoma caveman

State:
    oklahoma
    lol logs are about all i ever catch anyway when im snaggin

12. LaBlueHunter

LaBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    well the place i have cought more spoonies then anywhere else is eufaula while striper fishing i cought one down there one day weighd 120 pounds gamewarden weighed him for me an said he would be a state record if snagging were allowed there but about the best place u will find to snag legal right below the dam is at ft gibson have cought alot of nice spoonies there also

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I may be mistaken, but I believe snagging for spoonbills is state wide. It is not restricted to any certain bodies of water.

14. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I stand corrected! There are paddlefish in Hugo!

15. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    the most abundent spoonbill populations are home to grand

16. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The best spoonbill fishing in th U.S. of A. is indeed Grand Lake. I have never heard of any being snagged in Hugo. I sure would hate to be noodling in the Kiamichi River and get goosed by one of them.

17. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I think i'd rather be goosed by a spoonbill over one of those long nosed gar. YEEEEOOOOOWWWWW

18. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    AWSHUCKS - LOL,LOL, you just kill me sometimes with your comments:wink::smile2: It is always a pleasure to visit with you, be good.

19. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    For size wise not numbers the Arkansas River above Keystone to Kaw Dam can't be beat. The access is difficult in most places but the average size of the spoonies are bigger. My best at 80+ pounds came from below Kaw dam and know of jet boats that get to some places where 100+ pounders are frequent. Number wise Grand is king and can't be beat along with Ft. Gibson, and Hudson and also the lower Arkansas River. Snagging below Keystone would be good also if it were legal. There's quite a few guys that throw big jigs and "accidentally" catch them, but need to be released immediately.