Spoonbilling

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Terry Day, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    OK, I admit that I am a novice to the spoon billing phenomena. I guess my questions is: What is the attraction to snagging spoon bill. I go across the Osage River there at Osceola on MO-13 on the way down to Bolivar and see all of the boats out snagging. Are they fun to catch / good to eat / or a nuisance like the carp? I have a boat and could chase them but don't have a reason too! Someone, please, fill me in the attraction to spoon billing! Thanks

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    It's a hillbilly thing? Just kidding guys, Terry I have no idea whats so exciting to snag a fish let a lone release a fish with a nice hole in it's side. If you say it's the fight, well all snagged fish fight better then ones caught in the mouth. It is amazing how many people will fit in a 16' jon boat swinging them rods back and forth. To me it reminds me of the little car they use to see how many clowns fit in it.

3. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    well Im in KY but they are fun to catch and great to eat. I get them for table food. my wife likes them because the meat is more like a chicken meat ( meaning it is not flakey meat like all other fish).it is great table fair after you remove all the red (dark meat) off of it like a strip bass.

4. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    and I forgot to add that people eat their eggs (caveare)i think that spelling is far from wright but any ways If you have a comercial fishing lisc. the eggs can sell for up to around 80 bucks a pound.

5. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    1. They get humongous.
    2. They pull like hell.
    3. They taste awesome.
    4. No bones to worry about when eating.
    5. It's tradition.

6. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    That helps me out too, I was wondering if they were any good to eat and how many bones they have. But, I see now that there isn't a problem with bones?

Oh, and I'm still wondering....why snagg them? do they not bite on anything?

7. catmama007

catmama007 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Spoonbills are extremly easy to clean. They have no bones and they taste good. As far as catching them my husband and I caught some on troutlines using soap for bait. Snagging? Sounds like FUN to me!!!

8. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Lots of good responses! Thanks to everyone who responded!

9. Longhunter

Longhunter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hmmm! No bones, not flakey, cut out the red meat, Caviar!

Sounds like Sturgeon, I have to try this, Sturgeon is my favorite so maybe I can replace it with Spoonbill.

10. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    They feed on microscopic animals and rarely are caught by conventional methods. In the early 1900s they would seine them out of the Mississippi with nets 2 miles long getting as much as 150 barrels of fish per pass. They became popular after the Sturgeon were pretty much fished to extinction. In their turn their population has decreased to a tiny fraction of the past. due to impounding of their breeding rivers they are mostly maintained by stocking of Truman, Lake of the Ozarks and Mississippi and Missouri rivers. They can get to 160 lbs though the largest caught in Missouri was 140 lbs. Only when they congregate for their spring spawning run is it practical to try to snag them.

11. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    They just eat plankton and you can't catch them on a baited hook.

Every once in a while, somebody gets lucky and a paddlefish with swim right into your hook with its mouth open.

Thats how the world record, a 144 pounder, got caught when a guy was fishing for carp with dough bait and it swam into the bait with its mouth open. Here's the link to the story.... http://www.kansasangler.com/archive/0502riley.html

12. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Yep them Spoonies are fine fish:tounge_out:

13. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was just wondering if anyone had been snagging down by Osceola this week. If the weather holds I think we are going down for the day tomorrow.

14. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I would sure like to go snagging down there, but its a 3.5 hour drive. A guy I talk to on another forum is going down there for the weeekend to snag from the bank up around Taberville Bridge up to Schell Osage. He said it should be good with the water levels rising.

15. fishinnstudyin

fishinnstudyin New Member

State:
    MO
    went snagging in the Mississippi River today.. Caught one small one, barely pushing 30 inches from the eye to the V on the fin.. It seemed that most paddlefish pulled out didnt push 20 pounds. However, some Mexican guy had something absolutely gigantic on his rod. His rod was flexing so much that his entire body (about 180-200 lbs) of him was shaking and his friend was helping him control the rod. After about 2 minutes of battling, his line snapped, the poor fellow didnt realize that he needed to loosen up on the drag, especially with 50 or 65 lb braid from my guess. Lots of small sturgeon, walleye (caught a couple, one easily pushed 5 lbs, really wish I could've kept it), asian carp and dinky catfish were snagged today as well.

16. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Where on the Mississippi did you snag at if you don't mind me asking? It would of been nice to see what that fellow had on, maybe a big sturgeon or a monster blue cat?

17. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    what kind and how big do those sturgeon get.

18. chuck99

chuck99 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    My oldest son live near Springfield MO, and loves spoonbill/paddlefishing.

Attached Files:

19. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Those are some dandies. I take it he got them off the James River arm of Tablerock? The water temp was up in the mid 60's on the James River arm last I heard, so the big sows are probably moving up river now.

20. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    For the guys that have caught sturgeon, the spoonbill is VERY much the same when it becomes tablefare and when the comparison comes to the fight, it's the same, a vw on your line headed up river or lake, it really is fun, you are on the water and where can you take a couple of fish that weigh 45 to 150 #'s home in a day and you are on fresh water!!:lol: