Spoonbill

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by larry c, Apr 25, 2008.

1. larry c

larry c New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Checking to see if they are still catching spoonbill at locust Grove. was there last week did real good would like to go back one more time. Thanks Larry

2. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    The spoonies should still be running for a couple more weeks.

3. stubbylong

stubbylong New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Went snagging below Ft. Gibson dam yesterday. We each got one, but it took most of the day.

4. stubbylong

stubbylong New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have a questions about spoonbill.
    1. Is there a start date and end date, basically is there a season when its legal to snag them or can you do it all year?
    2. What is the easiest way to clean a spoonbill?
    3. How can you turn the eggs into caviar? (if you don't mind sharing any secret recipes)

Thanks for any answers in advance.

5. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    don't know about the season. i couldn't begin to tell you about caviar, but i do know how to clean them. hang the fish up in a tree by the bill. cut around the base of the tail but do not cut the tail off. after you ring around the tail with your knife have someone hold thf fish while you twist the tail. when the tail snaps loose it should still be attached to the grissel. the grissel is like a spinal cord. depending on the size of your fish it should be 1/2 to 1 inch in diameter. pull this out of the fish. eventually when you get it pulled out it will be about 1 and 1/2 times longer than the fish. now you skin the fish like you would a catfish. next remove the guts. your fish should now be hanging clean. we always cut the flesh from the head and if we are going to smoke it we usually leave all the flesh intact and smoke the fish whole. when we fry it we lay the cleaned fish down on a cutting table and start at the tail end cutting it into 3/4 in thick stakes. in my opinion it is much better smoked than fried. i hope this helps.

6. stubbylong

stubbylong New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That helps a lot, thank you. Maybe next time we will clean them the correct way.....lol