Spoonbill

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSISSIPPI TALK' started by Shaun Bond, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Shaun Bond

Shaun Bond New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Has anyone ever heard of a Spoonbilled catfish,Ive heard storys from my father in law?Just wanderin

2. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.

3. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    yep we got them here in the river and one lake that i know of

4. Shaun Bond

Shaun Bond New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thats some crazy stuff.

5. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Spoonbill, aka paddlefish, are known for there "caviar". They have a fishable amount of these in Sardis and Ross Barnett lakes. I have accidently snagged them, while trolling for crappie! (small ones).:crazy:

6. l30e22r17

l30e22r17 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    commercial fisherman fish for them in the river, they catch them in nets and take their eggs for caviar. i ran into a couple of guys this past january at the white river lock that said they had been fishing them everyday for five or so weeks.

7. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    they are at the cannelton dam certain times of the yr. people snag them even though its illigal. they get over 100 pounds i hear they are great to eat but i never snag for fish takes the sport out of it.

8. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    we have a lot of them. it a season on them the eggs sell for a lot of money, they make caviar from them,

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Jody in the case of the spoonbills, snagging is the only way to get them as they feed primarily on plankton if I remember right.They wont take any conventional baits.I would agree that snagging might not seem sporting but it isnt as easy as one thinks.On the other hand if you have ever foul hooked a fish you know the fight is much harder than normal so snagging a 30+ spoonbill is quite a sporting proposition in my mind.We shouldnt close our minds automatically,and I'm not saying you have,to other means of fishing.In this case its the only rod and reel way to harvest these fish.:big_smile::smile2:

10. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Snagging is legal in ky. There are limits and other restrictions so be sure to check before you go.