spoonbill (whitout a bill )

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by tunnel hull, Mar 14, 2009.

1. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    first timer at snagging spoony alot of work but real good eating! First fish snaged had no bill. Bear in mind I've only seen Pic's of spoonbills an not no 25lb nobill fish... I got in the boat to reteve it. my buddy kept saying Just grab it by the BILL. Thats easy for him to say, his 30ft. above me an i'd never seen one of this things up close an personal,dude whitout a bill they look just like a freaking SHARK!!. Grab it my A## i aint touch'n nothing that looks like a freaking SHARK ( ha ha ha!!) .. Jokes on me ,they aint got teeth! WOW go figure? FIRST time i heard of a catfish that would'nt bite the sh!T out of you .. SO those of you out there that have only seen PIC's THEY DO NOT DO THIS FISH justus!! :smile2: AND if have never eaten any your LOSS.. good fish Mmmm, Mmmm..

Attached Files:

2. tbirdbassr

tbirdbassr New Member

State:
    illinois
    Got one out last year they eat like lobsters NOT ENOUGH TO GO AROUND LOL!!!

3. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    First cousin to sharks.

4. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    i was getting ready to say it looked like a shark:cool2:

5. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    minus the TEETH! so I find out.. :smile2:

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Where did ya get them at? Nice, great eat'n for sure, but no catfish :wink:

7. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    Ky. Dam . lot of what they called it brooming pull-n-crank pull-n-crank Got My Kentucky out of state licence $ 50 bucks out of pocket!!! Better than the $$$ fine a person can get for not have'n one.. Oh well at least it aint going to chicago ummm errr I mean springfield :smile2: I like to see the face of the concerfation u no the fish police! when your at mounds in a boat and they think they caught you in the WRONG just cause u put the boat in on IL. soil... :wink:

8. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    I took your advice .. AS we spoke a few weeks ago about my penn.209 on the new/old Penn long beach combo? like I've stated in the pass if it aint got a button or bail on it I can't throw it! Took your advice set the drag an LET HER FLY!!! Did real good for about 1/2 the day. Then I forgot the thumb BOY oBOY o BOY ..to bad the battiers were down in my Kodak! i could have taken a PIC's of the perfect bird nest I'm not talking Robins nest I'm talking Oreiles's NEST woovin -son she went deep....Got out the knife cut her out an put on New line ..leason#2 =just alil thumb goes a long way...Leason#1 =spoonbill gots no teeth!

9. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    :crazy: :smile2: I can hear it as I set here and read, the reel just nicely "singing" along as the lead tears off line and the bearings heat up, just at the point of maximum RPM's the lead hits the water, the brain cramps, the thumb does not move, and there it is that infamous sound, and sudden jerk as all them high RPM's instantly get converted into forward momentium......:smile2: *&*^^%&((##&$*^@( lightly Wafs across the water.....and everyone in the area turns to first look, then turns away (at first) to :smile2::smile2:

10. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    So what do these spoonbills taste like?

11. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    To me they are kind of like a prime roast, with a hint of sweet lobster and a Ice cold Bud on a hot day....... :wink::smile2:

12. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

13. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    WHERE YOU DOWN THERE ?
    that was'nt your your faimly I promise! everybody's got a mother, an a son of a##### ..... PS.thought that piece of lead was going to Knock out the windshield of the train going across the DAM.,,,.. aaAND EVERYBODY was watching..:smile2::smile2::smile2:

14. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    A LITTLE THUMB GOES A LONG WAY!!!! :wink::wink:

15. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    No, not in person, but in thought, there is NO one who fishes big lead and casters that has not heard or done that a time or two anyway, LOL! now get to fishing, Crappie are on! CIAO......:smile2:

16. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    When I use to commercial fish/net some I had a call list of people who would buy/take every spoonbill I caught. Theyre great for fish frys where kids are gonna be in abundance. My older kids loved them. I hear theyre getting rarer and rarer now. Biggest one I ever seen was flopping on top, barge cut it in two where the gut meets the tail, we dipnetted and dressed the front, it was missing the back end and it was still a good 3feet plus the head and bill. Im a big lad and the carcass was still as big around as my thigh.