spoonbill time getting closer

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by on_the_fly, Feb 21, 2009.

1. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ITS ALMOST HERE!! we are just a few weeks away from peek time for spoons and big heads. I got hooked on this fish a few years ago from a friend that also guided me to the BOC as well. I dont know how many of you fish for these I knoe a few of you do. Keith, Vern and some others but if you never have you need to find someone that will let you tag along, I'm betting it will turn out to be some of your best fishing days. for the few that may not know what they look like I have a few pics in my photos from the past few years.

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Leroy snagging season opened February first, I have already gotten three limits and I doubt I'll get any more. Here in the hole I fish it is first come first serve, so after the first or second week it is hard to get a fish. Vern

3. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    what is the point of fishing/snagging for spoonbill? Are they good to eat? I have heard about them before and I know in some places their eggs are sold as caviar? Just curious.

Bill

4. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Bill, yes paddlefish are good eating. Not to mention when you come around with that upswing on the rod and the tip shoots back towards the water faster than it came up and a 30+ pound bill is running line off your reel like no tommorrow, it can be fun. Vern

5. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    when are you allowed to snag at kentucky lake dam? is the season in there also?

6. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Adam, you can snag at KY lake tailwaters year round. when the statewide snagging season is out you must snag at night time hours only. You may want to consult the fishing guide, but I'm pretty sure this is right. Vern

7. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Vern I know snagging starts in Feb but I like to hold out till around the first of April when they seem to be stacked up and easy to get to by bank, for I do not have a boat anymore I sold it and am in the market for a toon now.