Spoonbill Snagging

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by catfishcentral, Feb 27, 2006.

1. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Well it's getting close to that time a year again. I'll post some pics when I start to snag but I found some old video I shot a few years ago. I'm not in the pictures because I'm filming but it's getting me pumped up for spring. I was just using a digital camera on movie mode to make these. There not by any means great but fun to look at. These were taken at Chouteau Bend at the low water dam. We would travel up to the low water dam and start snagging. By the time you actually boated the fish the current has taken you several hundred yards downstream. Lots of fun.:)

http://media.putfile.com/double-spoonbills

http://media.putfile.com/spoonbills

2. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Thanks for sharing the videos. Before too long hopefully we'll get some rain and get those fish moving up the lakes toward the headwaters.

3. rivrbunny

rivrbunny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the video-be sure to post when they start moving-they are pretty exciting to catch even if they aren't as good to eat.

4. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    We really need that rain to come soon. I don't know how well Chouteau bend will be this year. Not only do they need to fill Lake Hudson back up but also Pumpback Lake that is feed by Hudson. They lowered Pumpack by like 40 feet for repairs so they have to fill it up also. I know we will get the spring rains but we will need a lot to fill both lakes before they start releasing any water.:sad: Depending on where, when and how much water is running into or out of our lakes I might be below Kaw or traveling over to Grand this year for snagging.

5. cat daddy 791

cat daddy 791 New Member

State:
    Kansas- Wichita
    Hey Chris, I Was Always Wondering If The Fishing At Chouteau Was Any Good. Have You Fished There Very Much? The Reason I'm Asking Is That I Used To Drag Race My Jet Boat There A Few Years Ago. The Last Time I Raced There Was In 2001. I Thought That Might Be A Good Spot For Catfishing. But When You're Haulin @ Over 115 Mph, Its Kinda Hard To Get A Good Look Around. Just Kinda Curious...

6. catfishcentral

State:
    OK

Yes, the fishing is very good there but sometimes can get a little busy. The sand bass fishing is very good along with good blue cat fishing. My main purpose when I go there is to snag for spoonbill and it's one of the top spots to snag if the water is flowing good. I've trolled for sand bass and have done well also. The main channel is very good and Pryor creek is not bad also. I baited up some limblines and tossed out jugs with spoonbill leftovers and did extremely well in pryor creek creek last year. Ft. Gibson is a great lake and in the spring the blue cats, sandies and spoonbill all migrate up from the lake. I've never fished it any other time than March through the end of May.
    They have been running those speedboat races for a long time out there but I've never gone out to see them. Would be kind of neat to see them some time.

7. rivrbunny

rivrbunny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Chris,
    The corp has been letting out water late afternoon early evening. There is a deep hole on the northwest side of the new river bridge hwy 60 that is great snagging water. You can drive down to the water on the south side of the bridge. They are doing road work on the side you need to fish from so you will have to park & walk under the bridge or drive to the north side of the bridge to get to the good spot. There is also some rip rap south of the bridge that was good fishing too-if you are up this way you need to stop and fish when the water is up. I think they are starting to let water out around 1300 and cut it off after dark so it will get to the bridge around 3 or 4 pm - Good luck:0a23: My truck is in the shop this afternoon - I told them they better get it all fixed at once because I won't have any down time once the weather stays warm!

8. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Misty,

Thanks for the information about locations to snag below Kaw. Here is a phone # is case you don't have 918-669-7521. This is the daily corps release and level recording. This recording has one thing you can find on the corps website and that's specific times water will be released especially if the lake runs turbines at the dam. Lakes like Ft. Gibson and Keystone may only release water for a few hours or half a day and if your there just when they start to release the water the fishing can be great. It's progammed on my speed dial on my cell phone.:p

9. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Anybody headed out after the spoonies this weekend?

Me, I'm taking the weekend off but will be back out on the 11th at Grand.

10. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    How in the world do you guys manage to snag with only 20lb line???:confused:

Eric

11. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

At least for me... snagging with 20# means a 20# leader. And when using light leaders, it usually means I anticipate snags and want a reasonable pound test to be able to break off at the hook. It is also very important when using 20# to have your drag adjusted correctly along with the correct frame of mind as to how much pressure you must keep on the fish, less you get a busted line or spooled by spoonie.

12. catfishcentral

State:
    OK

I use sometimes up to 30 pound line but I've never used anything more. I like it because I can cast a lot further than being spooled up with 40 or 50 pound mono. I tried using power pro one time but you get snagged a lot on all the rocks down below where I go. That stuff is too hard for me to break off when I get snagged. Last year I took one of my baitcasting rods and placed a roller guide on the tip. It really helped reduce the amount of breakoffs by putting less stress on the line. Twenty pound line will work fine as long as you use the drag and not just horse them in. Sometimes though I think I've lost a couple really big ones by not having enough lb test line. It's hard to tell sometimes how big a fish you have one when you snag them in the tail. Man do they fight better when you hook them in the tail.

13. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showpost.php?p=150597&postcount=4

14. catfishcentral

State:
    OK

I'll be out of town this weekend but I'll be out in the next couple of weeks. I doubt it will be at Chouteau but both Grand and Kaw are both only about an hour away from my house.

15. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Hey Jim,

I got a question for you. On your big snagging reels are you using power pro on the whole reel or backing half of it with mono. I guess I'm cheap and don't want to spend 40+ dollars to fill a spool that will hold 350 yards or more. I was using a blood knot, I believe one year between my mono line and power pro. I was getting spooled and the line broke where the two were tied. I didn't like losing all that line and money and have just gotten by and fairly happy with plain old mono.

16. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

For a new reel I will spool it up completely with new PowerPro, being careful to make a good knot at the spool to avoid slippage (some use friction tape). Anyway, that newly spooled reel will then be moved into my fishing rotation and start to see some use. As mentioned in another thread, I always match my leader weight to my conditions, where I think I have a very good chance at breaking off at the leader should I become snagged. But sometimes that doesn't work as intended, and you will break your line at the piece of wood you are using a break stick (we keep a 12" piece of broom handle onboard).

It's inevitable that after a few seasons or hard month of fishing, after breaking off at the reel and/or trimming off the last several feet of PowerPro after a weekend fishing in the rocks, your reel spool will be lacking the proper amount of line for optimum casting. At that point you need to do some maintenance.

For me, I will mount the reel on a short rod (rod#1), and then take another reel that holds the same amount of line and mount it on another short rod (rod#2). I then start to spool out the PowerPro (after trimming off the last 10 to 20 feet to get rid of nicks and abrasions) from rod#1 through a few guides on rod#1, then into and through a few guides on rod#2, and finally onto the second reel. At that point I will reel all the PowerPro onto reel#2. When I reach the end of the line, I will then splice on some heavy mono (using a Uni to Uni splice) and then continue to reel in the line until my spool is full.

Once the spool is full on reel#2, I will cut the mono allowing some excess for my knot that will attach it to the spool of reel#1. So, now we have reel#2, with a full spool, and mono on top. So I then thread back though a few eyes on rod#2, back into a few eyes on rod#1, and then attach the mono to the spool of reel#1 and start reeling. When I am done I should have a full spool again, with PowerPro on the top.

This method works great as long as you're not adding so much mono as to make your knot try and pass through the level wind when casting, as that is bad. So as long as you didn't lose too much of your PowerPro, this works great plus it gives you an indicator (the knot and mono) that you are getting close to getting spooled once you see that knot pass through your level wind.

Using this method I have some PowerPro going on 4-5 years old, and it still casts and holds like a dream. Once you prorate it over time, PowerPro is not really that expensive if you take care of it, IMHO.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions or if I need to clarify any of the post.

17. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Change of plans for me :)

A friend at work asked me if I would go out early Sunday morning with him to Grand and teach him how to fish for Spoonbill.

So off again to Sailboat Bridge, unless I hear different that the fish have moved.

Anyone have any updates on Grand?

18. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Hey Jim,

In your shortend snagging outing were your spoonbills right around sailboat bridge? North, South of the bridge, depth you were seeing them. I have some free time on my hands and might head out there next week during spring break.

19. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Hey Chris,

While we were only on the water less than an hour, we did find the 2 spoonies in about the same conditions/place. I will be out again this Saturday to try again, and will post more details as to what I find then.

As far as last Sunday, the fish were in the channel, but on the extreme west side of it just at the ledge. In fact, just a nanosecond before I yelled fish-on, the boat driver said we had just moved out of the channel as the depth went from 55 feet to in the 30's. We were just a hair south of Sailboat Bridge (with 50-100 yards) for both fish.

Now the week before I caught my 29#er near Paradise Point, but in the middle of the channel.

Unless we get a lot of rain in KS or MO this week, I don't see any reason for the fish to have moved yet and we plan on putting in at Red Port 11 ramp early Saturday morning.

Good luck and take some pics to share!

20. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Thanks for the info there Jim. The kiddo's are out of school next week for spring break and if the weather is decent we might camp out for a day or two. It's been forever since I've been on Grand except for the twin bridges area. I want to get up to Grand a few times this spring before it gets too busy up there.