Spoonbill snagging reels?

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by Catfish_Calvin, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Im getting my snagging gear lined up and i need a new Spinning reel that will hold 40+ pound line. The biggest i can find around here is 25# maximum reels. If anyone knows a website where i could order one it would be greatly appreciated thanks!

2. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Are you wanting to use 40# mono? I prefer using 65-80 lbs braid because it's stronger and has a diameter of 16-18 lbs test usually. The braid will cast a lot better for me too since it's a smaller diameter. My current setup is a 12' XH surf rod and a Quantum Optix S60 spinning reel with 65 lbs power pro. The past 5 years I had a Southbend Hurricane surf reel on my rod and it was huge and held a ton of line. It was cheap and landed a lot of bills for me, but you had to move your whole arm just to crank it and that's why I dropped down to a bit smaller reel and braid.

Cabelas or Bass Pro has a number of surf reels that you can choose from. They range in a lot of sizes so you could just get the biggest one they have. There Salt Striker Metal reel has a really good rating and the biggest one holds 240 yards of 25 lbs test.

3. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    I use 70 pound braid. I was just wondering if there was any reels around that held any more than 25 lb test. i used a quantam saltwater bluerunner 80 last year and after 4 asian carp the gears locked up on me. just wanting to try something bigger and better. know what i mean? u know any links to a good reel? i looked on bass pro shop and cant find anything. i must be looking in the wrong place eh?

4. Flat_Cat

Flat_Cat New Member

State:
    Higginsville, MO
    It's not a spinning reel but I use a Penn 114H. That's the only reel I haven't been able to tear up yet. Attached is a pic of one of my 114H's

Attached Files:

5. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    That Southbend Hurricane isn't made anymore, but I think it cost me a whole $20 brand new. It' landed tons of hard pulling spoonbill and bigheads for me over the years. My friends dad goes through one of those Shakespeare Alpha every few years, but they only cost $20 so I guess it's not too bad.

If you aren't worried about money and want a really good long lasting reel, check out the Penn Slammer or Spinfisher. They look like they are built for abuse. They run 130-150 bucks though.

A good ol Penn 209 or 309 works great if you are boat trolling. You can't do anything to make those reels break I don't think. :big_smile: They aren't too hard on the wallet either so that's always a plus.

6. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    theres a real good place where i go snagging its shallow and full of rocks so you cant get a boat into the water. so i like to have a reel that i can cast a long ways from the bank. I cant really cast a baitcaster that far but i guess i havent really tried that hard either. That penn looks like a real nice reel tho thanks for the link!

7. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I have a 10 foot surf rod with an Abu Garcia 6500 on it that I can use also. It's not quite as heavy duty as my spinning setup so it won't wear my out so fast.

I'd say stick to the spinning for sure though if you snag from the bank.

Oh man March 15 can't get here soon enough.:roll_eyes:

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The Okuma Coronado CD90 will and has handled up to 80 lb.hard stiff mono I used when fishing Saltwater Shell,Barnacles on Reefs,Jetties,Piers and Oyster shell. YO-ZURI HYBRID to several brands of mono,and down to 12 lb.test BP Excel.It has been the best Spinning reel that I have ever had to handle heavy to light mono.and I have used spinning reels for over 50 years.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

9. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    get a penn 309 or 209 they are tough. I hate to say this on the BOC but catfish connection has the cheapest prices on penn reels.

10. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    I use a Penn Captiva CV8000 on an 11' surf rod. I spool it with about 225' of 30 lb mono. I can empty the reel with a 6 oz sinker on. This is a very smooth reel with lots of power and a good drag system.
    http://www.castawaylakes.com/Captiva.html
    I caught these two today with it. Dave

Attached Files:

11. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Ahh man you are lucky, you are already able to snag and doing quite well by the looks of it.

I have to wait another 43 days before I get to start rippin.:sad2:

12. Flat_Cat

Flat_Cat New Member

State:
    Higginsville, MO
    Look at the bright side Seth.....It's going to open on a Saturday this year :wink:

13. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I don't know if that's necessarily a good thing though. :crazy:Just means that there will be all the weekend warriors out there. Hopefully they will at least wait till daylight hours on Saturday. :smile2:

14. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Hey it cant be as bad as the situation im in. Our season started January 1st. I still havent been out yet. The river is covered in ice and theres no way to get a boat in the water. Its TORTURE. Our season ends april 10th. Hopefully the ice will be gone in 2 or 3 weeks but its not looking good as of now.

15. Flat_Cat

Flat_Cat New Member

State:
    Higginsville, MO
    I may one of those guys out before light :smile2: I'm defiantly gonna be there early so I don't have to park the trailer a mile away. Where are you gonna be opening morning Seth ?

16. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Opening day on a Saturday, WOW it's going to be Crazy.

17. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I'm going to be on the James river arm of Tablerock at the stroke of midnight on the 15th. Usually we have our limits in a few hours, or atleast the past few years it has worked out like that.

How bout yourself?

Troy....are you a night snagger or do you just wait till daylight to start ripping? We always snag at night earlier in the season on Tablerock due to less traffic and the fish seem to school up a lot better without all the pressure. Later in the season when everybody gets there share of snagging and starts chasing other species, we will go out during the day and do pretty good still.

I'm praying we have another warm week before it opens up. That usually gets the bills flopping around up on top and that's when our tactics really shine.:roll_eyes:

18. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    hey you still got that reel if ya do would you sell it. need a cheap reel for trolling for lake trout.

19. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    No I sure don't because it broke on me last year. It was my fault though because I just held on to the spool and pulled on the 80 lbs power pro that was snagged to a tree and the reel gave before the line. :angry:

20. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I have never been snagging for spoonbill but think it would be alot of fun.