Spoonbill Running?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by xringer3, Mar 25, 2007.

1. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Would anyone by chance know if the spoonbill are running at Ft. Gibson dam yet? I see they've been running quite a bit of water the last few days.

2. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    I don't know about at the dam, but, I ran up the river to low water dam yesterday and there were a few being hung there.

3. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well, I gave it a try tonite. Right before I got there, some guys snagged a couple small ones and one about 50lbs. They are just not running very thick at Ft. Gibson dam yet. There were quite a few sand bass though. Another guy was catching quite a few eatin size channels and blues up in the turbins on cut shad under a float.

Good luck. I might be out there Wednesday and give it another try.

4. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    I stopped by L&D 17 today and watched spoons rolling. I would imagine about any of the dams on the nav channel are likely to hold some spoons if they are running water, which they are!

5. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    How far below the L/D do you have to be to snag legaly?

6. srjones

srjones New Member

State:
    midwest city, ok
    I was at the breakwall/low water dam just north of hwy 412 over the weekend and the snaggin' was good, about every third cast I got one. The smallest was 28 and the largest was 53. good luck.

7. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    Mike you will need to check the regs because not all places have the same restrictions for distance -- http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/fishregs/specialrestrict.htm

Srjones I was at low water damn north of 412 on Sunday also, but just to watch. My nephew is the snagger in the family but there were more boats next to the dam than he wanted to deal with. We did boat some nice sandbass in the Pryor Creek area though. For those thinking about giving it a try the closest boat ramp I am aware of is at Chouteau Bend just south of the 412 bridge.

8. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    Choteau Bend ,folks are catching thier limits of spoonbill and Sand bass.My buddie and I put in early afternoon.His E-brake doesn't work and when He got on the boat trailer the truck came out of gear and floated down the grand river:eek:oooh: He was all right,thank God.And with divine intervention we got in touch with a scuba diver,and a tow truck and watched the biggest catch of the day whinched in.I still haven't got to catch a fish this year:sad2: