Spoonbill???? Oolagah??? How? Where??

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by TDawgNOk, Mar 28, 2008.

1. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Ok Okies, I need some help.

Heading to Oolagah this evening in search of spoonies. Never been snagging before, neither has my brother in law who is spearheading this trip. I need advice on where to go at Oolagah, and how to snag. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!!

*(oh, and how do you get to the spot you are suggesting from Owasso??)*

2. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I wouldn't waste my time.

Check releases from Oolagah big o'l zero.

http://www.swt-wc.usace.army.mil/OOLO.lakepage.html

Make sure to have your trebles barbless or filed off, be at least 1000 ft below the dam, have your paddlefish permit new for this year. There's not a ton of spoonbill below Oolagah and I doubt there will be any with no water release. It's shallow without any water below Oolagah to go very far at all. Go to Grand or the Bend instead.

3. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    you won't have any problems finding them here on the Grand River if you do come i'll show you the spots where you won't have crowds of people specially if your first timing it.

4. Harndog

Harndog New Member

State:
    Ok
    I want to do the spoon snagging this year as well bought some size 10 trebs the other night and plan to file them. What is a good size rod to use for them? I have never been before but my dad has I usually just use an 8 to 10 foot cat rod but he says you need at least a 12 footer? Your thoughts???

5. brandon

brandon New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    If you are just a recreational snagger. a 10 foot rod will be plenty. I snagged very successful for years with a ten footer I bought at walmart. 30 lb. test cajun line hook and sinker and your ready to go. At Oologah fish on the south side of the river below the dam and cast to the eddie (towards the boat ramp)
    Ive seen and caught several small spoons at Oologah but never a real big one (70-80lbs) like at grand.

6. juniors

juniors New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    you don't have to have a 12fter, i've got 7fters that bully most spoonbills, and we get em in really fast, don't waste time playing with them or ever giving line out, but then again depends on where you snag, ill never snag up their in miami that's just stupidity if you ask me, i'll stick to my holes down grand river to wehre we only have to throw 20 yards to get one if you like. i've seen guys with 15ft rods snaggin, they just don't realize what the use of a rod like that is for casting and less levarage, no need for them

7. Harndog

Harndog New Member

State:
    Ok
    Where would you advise a first timer actually a couple of us go? I do have a small John but not that big on getting in any swift water with it. So bank fishing is the ideal thing. Also how to rig the weight vs Hook?

8. juniors

juniors New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i would recommend the grand river, below the dam, you don't have to pay some park fee, not many people, people on the other side throwing, it's a way better deal

9. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    junior easy now, wouldn't want to start a bad trend, where gonna hit starting tomorrow, ken and bill's camping out on theh slough side, well be playing horseshoes for 30 packs so bring a couple with you and get prepared to get a whuppin

10. Harndog

Harndog New Member

State:
    Ok
    Thanks Junior will give it a shot in a week or two. We may end up going during the week anyway since I work evenings My days can be free. Thanks again for the info.

11. Jugs by Bert

Jugs by Bert New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Head to twin bridges on grand lake.....head up the neosho....it is muddy but spoonbill are great. good for the next couple of weeks. when the water clears head to the spring river....fast.....whites will be there thick. I guide so call me.

12. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Ok, we went to Oolagah Friday night. Only fish caught was a 1/2 lb blue that I snagged. Yep, its back in the water swimming happily.

Sat night
    After many, many changes in plans *(Matt, thanks for your help and your offer of assistance, wish we had headed up your way instead of where we wound up going)*, we wound up going to the low water dam at Choteau bend. I snagged one, but it broke my line at the bank, leaving me with an empty feeling. We then left and headed up to the big dam *(Kerr Dam)*. Man was it PACKED with people.

We set out, 4 adults, and 2 kids to try and get a spoonbill. My brother in law got a 30+ lber and we were given one by the people next to us. Trust me when I say that cleaning those buggers was a real job. I hooked into 1 more Sat night and broke my line again.

Sun.
    My brother in law and his buddy headed back to Kerr Dam. First cast my brother in law hooked another 30 lber and had my nephew reel it in. Boy was that 8 y/o excited. We continued to fish for a while, I hooked into quite a few but they kept breaking my line. Lesson learned. Don't use the line that comes on a reel when you buy it. I'm gonna spool up with some braid that is a lot heavier.

13. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    Your welcome Tony, well you accomplished want you wanted, atleast one of you out of the 4 of ya get one in, there's still plenty of time left they'll be down here, you need to come down here in the daylight to enjoy everything youll see anywyas and give youa chance to pound on the sandies as well, ilove watchin the little ones pull them in, haha good luck

14. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Next weekend is our Anniversary. I would LOVE to get my wife into one of those spoonbill, or a bunch of sandies. Only problem is, there is NO WAY I want her trying to make her way down those rocks at Kerr dam. Is the place up by you easily accessible?

15. Angelkitty

Angelkitty New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Junior, Dave and Brandon Welcome to the BOC from Arkansas.

16. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    yes, way easier my old time buddy's are in they 70's and we fish everyday even their wifes do sometimes, most places you can fish not 20 ft from yhour vehicle

17. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Plan on hearing from me closer to the weekend. I need to get "momma" away for some r & r

18. Angelkitty

Angelkitty New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    About time spanky. :wink: Happy early anniversary to you two by the way.