Spoonbill Fishing Questions

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Shooter64, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Shooter64

Shooter64 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hope I don't sound like to much of a dork, but have a few questions about the spoonbill snagging at Grand.

1. What kind and size of rod and reel should a guy use?

2. I have a 1450 Express with a 25 hp motor, would this be enough for the river?

3. Are there camping facilities nearby?

4. What size of treble and weight are best?

5. Line test?

I have fished Oklahoma all my life, but never been up there for the spoonbills, just want to make sure I would be ready if I can make it happen.
    I have several 6500's on 7' and 9' rods, but most of the photo's I see show people using spinning gear and I don't think I have any spinning gear that is heavy enough.
    Thanks for all the help
    Kris

2. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Can't help you much with the fish down in that area, but for tackle we use 10/0 trebles, 80 pounds Power Pro braid, and 9-12' surf rods. I've got a 6500 on a 10' Heavy Action casting rod and it does fine for big spoonbill. We used to use 7' medium action rods with the 6500's for paddlefish and never had trouble either.

I prefer using a 12' XH surf rod with a big spinning reel and 80 lbs Power Pro as my preferred setup now. It's great for snagging from the boat or the bank.

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC from Kentucky im sure there is someone on here that can help you with your question

4. KSFish

KSFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Never a dorky question! I was always taught, the dumbest question is the one not asked! Ok, back to your questions...

1. What kind and size of rod and reel should a guy use? Rods I use range from 8' up to 10'. As others said, surf rods work great. My favorite is an 8' Big Cat rod. If in a boat and trolling, a smaller stiffer rod will work. I would look for a big spinning reel made to hold 40 to 80 lb line.

2. I have a 1450 Express with a 25 hp motor, would this be enough for the river? Don't know what size this is, but I would make sure my boat and motor is DEPENDABLE when it comes to river fishing. Things change quickly with logs and running water!

3. Are there camping facilities nearby? Never camped, but have fished all night!

4. What size of treble and weight are best? Depending on water conditions, we use 8/0 and 10/0 hooks. Weights range from 2 ounce to 5 ounce. Mostly 3 ounce to be in the middle. Plus I have a 3 ounce mold and make my own!:big_smile:

5. Line test? Have used anywhere from 20lb to 80lb. I like 30lb mono since it is strong, but can be broken. Some guys use braided line, but you either have to cut it or straighten your hooks to get loose when snagged on a rock.

Hope this helps! Good luck!!

5. zimzam

zimzam New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    I agree with KSfish, never a dumb question. I ask all the time and spend a lot of time on the website researching. I just got into snagging a few years ago and love it. I also use a 10-12 foot Med Heavy action surf rod. I cut off about 8 inches off the bottom of my surf rod so I can put the end of the pole against my thigh and able to reel at the same time. Also use the 8/0 or 10/0 treble hooks (don't forget to collapse or file off the barbs) and a variety of weights, depends on the river flow, use mostly the 3 ounce. I like the braided line and use the Spiderwire Stealth 80 pound test. It's bear to break when it gets hung up on the bottom. I have a piece of 6 inch hardwood with some sticky electrical tape wrapped around it. When I get hung up I wrap the line around the piece of wood and pull the line with it that way I won't damage my pole or reel also it seems to help not losing a lot of line as the line usually breaks close to the hook. The first time out I lost a lot of gear due to not pulling the pole right or to slow and getting hung up on the bottom. I always watch others when I'm out and ask them questions. Never know when you can pick a new trick or two to help you. Everyone has there own style that works for them. Good Luck.

6. zimzam

zimzam New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Another thing I would like to do is fish from a boat but it scares me when there are a lot people on the banks and all the weights being flung out there and every once in awhile you here a line break while casting and those weights go flying. Being on the boat just the idea those can come zipping pretty quick. But when there are not a lot of guys out it would be fun plus you can access the deeper channels better than you can from the bank.

7. swmo guy

swmo guy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I will be the third to say that there is no such thing as a dumb question. We all have to start somewhere! The equipment that I use is a 12 foot medium heavy surf rod with a open face spinning reel. I use Cajun Red #30 line and 10/0 hooks with sinkers anywhere from 4 to 8 ounce... Good luck and I hope you hook into some, it's a RUSH!!!!

8. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Kris,

I went for the first time this weekend. Picked up a 14' Shakespere surf rod at Academy for $28 and change, and a large Zebco spinning reel for $30.

I was using the 20lb that came on the Zebco, not gonna happen again. I hooked into about 10 fish this weekend, and all 10 of them broke my line. I'm fixing to find some heavier duty braid to spool up with. We were snagging below Kerr dam, just above the low water dam at the Choteau bend area.

9. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC from southwest Missouri.

10. KSFish

KSFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have used some different lines, but have stayed with 20 lb to 30 lb. berkley big game. Seems to work good. I had to change my fishing style though. I'm used to just horsing fish in and that couldn't not be done. I use my drag alot, and actually let the fish run from time to time. I take my time. I lost too many fish last year trying to "Horse" them in. Have not broke my line since if I remember right. I tried some heavy line, but it was harder than hell to break if needed.

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Do you by chance throw a half hitch around one of the trebles to make the hook lie with the line?

12. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Awshucks, you can only have one treble hook while snagging. What you describe, though is what I do. I pass a half-hitch around the shank of the treble with the leader going to the sinker below the hook. It does keep the sharp parts facing the right direction... up the line.:wink:

Under the ODWC Paddlefish Regulations found at http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/fishregs/paddlefishregs.htm

8) When snagging for paddlefish, anglers are allowed only one hook (one single hook or one treble hook) and all hooks must have the barbs removed or completely closed. Anglers must stop snagging when a daily limit of one fish is kept.

13. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I use 80 lbs Power Pro when I snag and like everybody says, it's a bear to break off if you get snagged. What I have started doing is tying my hooks on to some 50 lbs big game mono and then tying that on to my braid. It makes it a heck of a lot easier to break off if you get snagged, but still plenty strong to land big fish.

Last year I used a 10' Medium action surf rod with some 20 lbs mono and landed a 40 pounder. It was fun because you had to play the fish a lot more than usual. The only problem with that setup was I had trouble burying the hooks into the fish and it caused me to have several get off before landing the one.

14. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use Big Game line for my catfishing, but when snagging, I use the cheaper 40lb test. It will stretch more and take some of the shock away from the rod and the reel. I have to respool more, but this stuff is cheap enough to do it. It works great for me, and has for years.

I switched to a 9000BG last year and love it for snagging! It holds lots of the 40lb test line. I use a 14ft lamiglass for the rod. With the longer rods, you can cover more area through the water with each pull of the rod tip. I do'nt wear myself out near as fast as with a shorter rod. I see alot of guys also "yank" the hook through the water. That will wear you out quick too and if you hit the fish at the end of the "yank", then you've got nothing else left to set the hook. I just pull the hook through the water, then when I feel the resistance of the fish, then I give it a good set.

When I tie my treble hook on, I run the line through the eye a few times, then wrap it around the shank several times, then around each hook, and down through the loop at the botom of the shank, then tie on the sinker. It keeps the hook in line with the line. Been using this method for years and seems to work great.

My set up might not work as well in other places though. I've only snagged at Ft. Gibson dam, were I'm on a flat wall and elevated. If I was on the bank, I might have to change things up a bit. I'm wanting to go try the twin bridges area, sounds like they've got alot of em up there and they're starting to move in. They usually don't get up to Ft. Gibson for another month or two.

15. zimzam

zimzam New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    I agree with Xringer on the "Yanking" as there were a lot times I was at the end of my stroke and hit something and had nothing left to pull to sink the hook. But I still tried to and wind up spinning in a circle and the line wrapping on me. Looking quite ridiculous and dangerous with the line wrapped around me. So I changed to the sweeping motion and it has worked a lot better. But man when your sweeping and feel that hit and set that hook and it's a nice one it is like snagging a Volkswagen going by and trying to turn it around, what a rush. I also use a spinning reel, Daiwa Emcast 6000, it even says it is for large catfish and paddlefish. Bait casters and I don't get along %*&$$)*&&%, LOL. Go to page 7 or 8 on this attachment and this is how I do my set up on hook and sinker, works great and it's quick. file:///C:/Documents and Settings/Owner/Desktop/Setting up hook and sinker.pdf