SPOONBILL FISHING IN N.E. OKLAHOMA

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by PRELTZEL, Feb 26, 2009.

1. PRELTZEL

PRELTZEL New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    I KNOW IT'S EARLY BUT GETTING THE ITCH TO GO SPOONBILLING.
    HAS ANYBODY WENT UP NEOSHO (TWIN BRIDES AREA) OR BELOW THE DAM AT GRAND. THANKS!!!

2. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i haven't persponaly snagged any yet, have friends that have been getting em a little further down river still yet below the dam

3. PRELTZEL

PRELTZEL New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    PAST BIRD HOLLOW AND THE BLUE BRIDGE

4. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Most of them that I found yesterday where along the stretch of lake around Gray's resort. I think that is what it's called. A little FYI, We are going to have a get together at twin bridges the weekend of March 14th-16th. Watch for the thread in the gatherings section. Come on down for the weekend or just the day.

5. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    well not exactly passed bird hollow but your pretty close to that general area , yes

6. PRELTZEL

PRELTZEL New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    I UNDERSTAND SOUTH GRAND LAKER YOU CAN'T GIVE THE EXACT LOCATION. I HAVE FISHED DOWN THERE FOR MANY YEARS JUST DID NOT
    EXPECT THEM TO BE UP THAT FAR WITH REALLY NOT THAT MUCH WATER
    BEING RELEASED. SINCE GRDA WANTS THE LAKE AT 742.

7. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    oh i'm not afraid of giving exact locations, if you want to know just ask, and there has been lot of water released in the last 2 weeks, i think they had full generation for the past 2 weeks solid, up until maybe 3 days ago, i have a pretty good idea at all times since it happends to be in my back yard, i have some gigging buddy's that got one or two, all the way up the creek from bird about oh a week ago, good luck man theyll be real good in april though

8. PRELTZEL

PRELTZEL New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    I WASN' T TRYING TO BE PUSHY ALOT GUYS LIKE TO KEEP THIER FISHING
    HOLES THIER FISHING HOLES. LAST YEAR THOUGH IT SEEMED LIKE THEY
    HAD FLOOD GATES OR FULL GENERATION CONSTANTLY ALREADY AND ALL SPRING TOO. ALOT MORE RAIN THOUGH
    ACCORDING TO MY LOG BOOK THE FIIRST WEEKEND IN MARCH WE CAUGHT 4 SPOONS THEN THE NEXT WEEKEND WE CAUGHT 43. THANKS THOUGH AND MUST BE COOL TO LIVE RIGHT ON THE LAKE OR RIVER.

9. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    How do you get to twin bridges from Tahlequah?:confused2:

10. PRELTZEL

PRELTZEL New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    ONE WAY WOULD BE TO GO UP 69 TO CHOTEAU, PRYOR, ADAIR, VINITA
    FAIRLAND TOWARDS WYNADOTTE, OK

11. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    pretzel, or probably spelled that wrong, it's all good, i don't mind, i can tell you whereever to look for them, i don't mind helping out at all, hopefully when i get back from nashville, theyl'l be in full swing, and i can show you a few hidey hole spots, where you can get them , when there not anywhere else, i talked to one of my buddys from back home, there gettting the sandies now up at the cable, with no water running, long throwing that's a good sign

12. swmo guy

swmo guy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Anybody know if they are starting to run up the Neosho or Spring Rivers yet? I have to snag from the banks and have had the best luck around Connor bridge. I would be open to suggestions though!!!

13. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    Spoonbills are starting to move in at FT Gibson Dam when the water is running. Range 20-30 lbs. Still a little for the bigger ones.

14. KSFish

KSFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    If ya don't mind, please post on here when you see em' running. We live about an hour away, but love to hit the river when they are running!:smile2:

15. stubbylong

stubbylong New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Is there a time frame to snag below Ft. Gibson Dam? Someone told me it was only legal to snag from 10pm to 6am down there is that true?

16. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    24/7 unles they changed it this year and I haven't seen anything on changes. Hudson Dam is 10pm to 6am

17. stubbylong

stubbylong New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    OK, that must have been what they were talking about then, Hudson not Ft. Gibson. Cause I know last year we caught them below Gibson and it wasn't during that time and the Ranger didn't say anything. Just wanted to make sure but fore I went down there.

Thanks for the info.

18. swmo guy

swmo guy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was at Connor Bridge on Neosho River and saw 5 taken. I took a 37 Lb. female... Looking good fellas!!!

Good luck!

19. KSFish

KSFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    My son and I went down to Miami Friday morning. We started at Conners bridge. Not much action so we went on to Miami Park. There were a total of 6 of us there. In, hours time I saw 5 fish caught. Not a lot, but still fun!

20. PRELTZEL

PRELTZEL New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    WENT TO KERR (HUDSON LAKE) DAM SATURDAY NIGHT AT 10 P.M. THEY HAD RAN WATER ALL AFTERNOON AND OF COURSE THEY HAD SHUT IT OFF BY THE TIME WE GOT THERE. SINCE WE WERE THERE WE TRIED ANYWAY PROBALLY 10 PEOPLE DOWN THERE WITH NO WATER RUNNING
    FISH WERE BEING CAUGHT. I CAUGHT 1 PROBALLY 30 LBS. AND 2 THAT WERE 18 INCHES LONG W/BILL. HATE THAT I PUT HOOK IN ONE THAT SMALL BUT IT IS NICE TO SEE THE SMALL ONES FOR THE FUTURE OF SPOONBILL. ONLY SECOND TIME AT KERR. THOUGHT I WOULD GIVE A
    HEADS UP ON KERR.