spoonbill fishery

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by rocco641, Aug 18, 2009.

1. rocco641

rocco641 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I would like to here some opinions on the spoonbill fishery.Everybody that talks cpr this cpr that. look at all the spoonbill that gets snagged "if they run in your area" Now a large spoon is def. a fish of the past imo... and another thing look at how you got to catch these fish,They dont just bite a hook and worm. How many CPR'S spoonbill "fish"

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Never fish for em.. most people well most snag them as its the only way for fun.. get a pic.. and release. Some who are poachers will snag them just for the caviar. However you look at it.. these certainly are fish that need to be CPRd as their prehistoric.:cool2:

3. rocco641

rocco641 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    thats my point, when I used to snag most of my hook-ups would be in the gill/head area. A big treble does some serious damage and would be a waste to throw back IMO. spoons are some of the best eating, but I think this fishery needs to be put on hold for a few years to get numbers back up.

4. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    i agree that the season should be on hold,where i live we dont have a season,i can put my name in for a drawing to get a license in south dakota but not really interested in it so i dont

5. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I saw several caught and released this past spring.

6. rocco641

rocco641 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    imo thats a waste if they were snagged very bad

7. IA Flatcatter

IA Flatcatter New Member

State:
    SE IA. on the skunk river
    I would like to know why the DNR sets a restricted season for snagging paddlefish on the Mississippi River. But at the same time allows comercial fisherman to take as many as they want whenever they want. Joe Schmo who wants a chance to snag a big bill during the spawning run can't, but the comercial guys can stretch nets out and catch as many as they can and sell the eggs for $100.00 a lb. !
    I would gladly not snag during the peak of the spawning run for the good of the fishery , but, why restrict the people who will only take a few fish? And let the ones who are set up to harvest these same fish by the tons catch as many as they want, whenever they want? Maybe I'm just stupid, but I shure as heck can't figure it out...
    Larry

8. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    never fished for em or seen em but everytime I hear of em running it's always people snaggin em. what do they taste like? I might have to try and snag one, and yes I cpr my fish . . . . . . big catfish that is everything else hits the grease unless I'm to lazy to clean em and I never keep em if I won't clean em and never catch more than I will eat. I don't want to get into another cpr debate because god knows there are enough of them right now. I fish for other species of fish too bass crappie and I eat those but once again I'll let the big ones go. I have 3 trophy bass all over 9 pounds so I let somebody else catch em and crappie they're just delicious!! I wish I knew how to walleye fish a lil better because I hear they're just as good

9. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    walleye is the only fish i will eat,i and do that maybe once or twice a year,they can be just as hard to get a a trophy flat im still chasing trophies on both