Spoonbill Eggs or Caviar Question

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by KSFish, Apr 6, 2008.

1. KSFish

KSFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ok, here is my question. I have never kept spoonbill eggs, but wondered, what exactly is legal? I mean, I know that an out of state person, not from Oklahoma can't transport a fish with its eggs across state line. But I mean, can a person use them for fish bait? Can an in state person keep the eggs? What is legal, what is illegal? I hear so much hear say about what can and can't be done. Anybody able to explain it to me?:big_smile:

2. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
  4. KSFish

KSFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for the info. I guess all I need to do is read the rules! :wink: Had never kept any eggs in the past, but might just start to try to fish with them. So, it would seem that I would need to freeze them solid before I can take them over state line. That might be hard to do!

5. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Another option would be to take it to the Paddlefish Research and Processing Center at Twin Bridges. This is sponsored by the ODWC. They will clean your fish for you, in exchange for the eggs. Then they take the eggs and package them as caviar and sell them. The ODWC uses the money for research and projects.

6. KSFish

KSFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've taken enough eggs to them already. I think they are doing ok when it comes to eggs.:wink: I am wanting to use my eggs to catch fish here in Kansas. I'm guessing they would work pretty good. I think it's a nice thing they are doing, especially for FREE. Are the eggs they are collecting going towards a hatchery or are they being sold as Caviar to fund the project.

7. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Paddlefish eggs are just too small to use on a hook unless you process them some way. I process my paddlefish eggs into caviar and eat them with salsa on crackers and chips.

The ODWC are processing the eggs into caviar and selling them on the world market. The proceeds are used to purchase new lands and access for Oklahoma sportsmen. Last year, there was a new access purchased along the Illinois River, providing a new wildlife management area and access to the new trophy trout stream.

The funds are being used for the betterment of the Oklahoma outdoors experience.

8. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    It is true that that most of the money is going back into the program. the last report I heard was that Mr. Green who is the head of the paddlefish project had estimated about 1.3 million dollars worth of paddlefish eggs had been processed at the center at twin bridges. That sure seems like a lot of hunting and fishing property to me.

9. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Troy,
    You may want to check your states laws about fishing with any part of a Spoonbill for bait. I live in Missouri and have talked to a game warden about fishing with frozen Spoonbill eggs that I cought in another State. He said its againest the law to fish with any part of a Spoonbill in MIssouri no mater where the fish came from. Good Luck !

10. KSFish

KSFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    You know, your probably right. I know in Kansas, almost everything it seems is a Gamefish. Meaning you can't do anything but catch them it seems. No snagging of them in anyway. But, I will need to check into it. Since you can snag spoonbills, maybe you can use them for bait!

11. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    That's the price you pay for living in the "Show-Me-State". I personally have never seen another state that does more to discourage hunting and fishing by legislating the privileges into the coffers as Missouri.

You Missourians have really gotta love to fish in order to obey all the regs. :crazy:

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Lest the out of state brethren get the wrong idea, let me add a few points for clarification as to what is happening in Oklahoma. Anyone who purchases a hunting or fishing license must also purchase a legacy permit. This funds gained from this permit, which costs sportsmen $5.00 is to be used to improve hunting and fishing opportunities in Oklahoma. The permit was in effect for about four years when the first purchase along the Illinois's River was made. Then a second purchase SW of Enid (I believe) was made for a game preserve (to be opened for fishing and hunting) and just this year another parcel of land was purchased in NW Oklahoma. I am sure that anything they do along these lines will improve the opportunities within the state. Of course, my beef with the program, is that it doesn't seem to really be helping the majority of citizens. Most of the prime fishing waters, and I believe hunting opportunities are in eastern Oklahoma. The citizens in the western 2/3 of the state just don't have much on the plate. I asked the ODWC about using this money to purchase land and build a dam on the Cimmaron River near Kingfisher, Oklahoma. This was immediately shot down as being too expensive, which I read the citizens in the central and western part of the state can drive to the east to fish. Let me tell you, the price of land is not going to get cheaper, so they think its expensive now, just wait a while. At any rate, that's what the states doing. I'm glad to hear the spoonbill station is also helping in this endeavor.

13. KSFish

KSFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    No complaints from me about the station! I feel almost guilty handing over a big slimy fish and walking off with 10 lbs of filets! It's freaking great! But, as far as legality goes, I'm not a poacher, I don't catch fish and let them lay or shoot deer or animals and let them lay. If I kill something, I'm eatin it! But, I have been known in the past to put a small amount of bait on my hook when trout fishing in Missouri to help out a bit! :wink: That's the reason I smoke cigars when I fish, that way I can loose my hook if I need to ! :wink:

14. Kansas_Catcaller

Kansas_Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I have used Spoonbill and Gar eggs for catfish bait for years.

In the river I fish....they are hands down the best bait for Channel or Blues. We freeze the eggs while still in the sack. Then cut them vertically into strips as they thaw the day we fish. This being said...you MUST hook through the membrane when using SB eggs to keep them on your hook.

Hook through the egg sack onto a stout treble hook. Tie on loosely with thread, or leave a tag end of line hanging off of your knot on your hook and wrap loosely. The eggs are surprisingly tacky, and will stay on the hook better than a guy would think...even in current.

Heaving the bait will however cause them to come off the hook. Toss gently if you intend to fish with a heavy sinker.

Gar eggs are MUCH more tacky...and tend to stay on better than SB eggs will. The eggs will naturally come off the hook while in current...which in effect creates a chumming effect, and will bring fish towards your bait.

The preferred method would be whether wading or fishing from a boat...using as little weight as you can get away with...drop the bait into the water at your feet, and let the current take the bait downstream...bumping along the bottom. You must maintain contact with with your bait...but not too much or your bait will not touch the bottom.

Too little, and you get a bow in your line, and sacrifice sensitivity. Bait stops...reel up as much slack as necessary...let it sit. If no bite...simply reel up the remaining slack, and raise your rod tip...the bait slides downstream further. A guy might let out 5' of line or 100 yards. The river I fish in...it's usually fish on within 25'.

I prefer using a braid line...such as Power Pro 50 to 65 lb. The smaller diameter allows a guy to have more line on hand to enable longer drifts, the braid line has less buoyancy than mono, and allows the line to water log and sink. Also the zero stretch factor of braid line allows for better sensitivity, and bite detection. In combination of a good graphite rod...a guy can literally tell when he goes from rocky bottom to sand.

Legality wise...in Kansas a guy can use any legally taken game as bait. This includes sportfish...as long as it is taken by legal means and regulations. In Kansas a guy can keep up to 2 spoonbill a day, and 6 per season. That makes 12 individual egg sacks per licensed angler in your household.

This is how it was explained to me by our previous game warden in our unit. Feel free to further research this if you feel you need to. In fact I encourage that. Don't take my word for it...as I can't prevent you from getting a ticket if the regulations have changed. I was checked 5 times last year however while fishing with SB eggs, and not an eyebrow was raised.

As far as Gar eggs go...no limit on them, as they are classified as a rough fish. Another great early season bait is white bass egg sacks. (Just be sure you know the difference between a Wiper and a White Bass...as the limit on Wiper is only 2 per day. They too stay on the hook very nicely if hooked through the membrane.

We are routinely catching 10, 20 and up to 30 lb blues on these egg membrane sacks.

Nothing beats wading in hip deep water, and tying into a 20 or 30 lb blue in current. exhilarating to say the least! Good times for sure!!

Hope this helps.