Spoonbill early season

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by love2catfish, Mar 7, 2009.

1. love2catfish

love2catfish New Member

State:
    Northwest Missouri
    What are the best areas to try for snagging spoonbill during the early part of the season. I've hit the Warsaw area several times in the past, but usually mid-April and later. This will be the first time in years that I try during March. Osceola and Taberville have been mentioned, but I don't know if they're good during the early weeks. I noticed that Catfish Scotty said the spoons are moving already. Maybe Warsaw is the best choice...

Also, what are the water levels like? Last year, everything was high but with a dry winter maybe the smaller rivers are not filled with junk. Thanks for any input.

2. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    For right now I'd say that Warsaw is a one day and done for a couple of weeks. No steady water flow yet. LOZ is down quite a bit this year. You won't have much choice but to be in the channel.

Truman is just a little above normal pool. I can't really help you with Osceola. Maybe someone else could help you there.

3. jjfisher666

jjfisher666 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    water flow some repairs on dams stopping flow truman ill be on the lamine river opening day

4. WhiteCats

WhiteCats New Member

State:
    Oak Grove, MO
    I will be down at Ivy Bend area (MM60). I also have had good luck at Kauffman's Marina in the early season due to the deeper water in the area. Kyle :cool2:

5. love2catfish

love2catfish New Member

State:
    Northwest Missouri
    I've tried Brown Bend several times over the years. My dad caught a 99lb spoonbill between Brown and Ivy. It's wide though. Makes it tough to find the path they take.

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Truman Lake Elevation is: 708

Thats great condition for snagging. Osceola area will be your best bet. You can go up river to Roscoe and above there to around the big monogo creek area or go below Osceola to horse shoe bend area. All very good areas for the opener unless we get a lot of water this week. Taberville area will be better for later in the season.

Lake of the Ozarks Lake Elevation is : 652.57

I only snag below the dam when Truman is up too high and trees coming down....:wink:

7. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Spoonfish. Sorry to ask another question im sure ur gettin tired of them, lol, but we went out the other day on the mississippi. snagged into a a couple 10-20 pounders and one 40 pounder. All up by lock and dam 18 in 35 ft. of water. a couple hundred yards down from the dam. WELL........with all this rain the river went up 4 ft. Suppose to drop again tomorrow. Is it still worth going out and trying to catch the fish in the same spot or how would you go about it?

8. love2catfish

love2catfish New Member

State:
    Northwest Missouri
    Thanks for the input. I'll probably shoot for Osceola unless the rain keeps coming. I've never been on the river up there. I guess I'll find out the hard way where the snags are...

Maybe I'll see you there.:smile2:

9. huntoften

huntoften New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just follow the gazillion boats...they'll show you were to fish! :crazy:

10. bodie

bodie New Member

State:
    Missouri

If you go down there watch your fish finder and stay in the channel. I like that are and have caught alot of fish

11. bluetick1897

bluetick1897 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Chris, Are you sitting on the Trout Hollow dock in your avatar.

12. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Looks like the Old Oar House to me.

13. love2catfish

love2catfish New Member

State:
    Northwest Missouri
    Trout Hollow it is!

14. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Good ol Taneycomo! We go there every year in June and spend a few days at a resort down river from Trout Hollow called Lazy Valley.

15. love2catfish

love2catfish New Member

State:
    Northwest Missouri
    If only the water was warmer and the fish were catfish...

We go there occasionally. Vacation is a great thing, if I remember right.