Spoonbill Catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by Don Wessling, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    Has anyone ever caught a Spoonbill cat, and if you did how did you catch it and where? I know they swim close to the surface with there oversized mouths open filtering plankton as there food sourse. I grew up along Carlyle Lake and heard of these fish being caught, but never knew any details until one day I was at a filling station in Carlyle when a guy pulls up to the pumps next to me with a jon boat full of Spoonbills that he said weighed about 60 lbs. each and looked to be 6 - 7 feet long. He said he caught them in Carlyle Lake over a lake that was submerged when Carlyle Lake filled. I think this was in the early 70's, since then I have heard of a few being caught, but it has been a long time since i've heard about them.

2. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    Hey man, I'm pretty sure those aren't catfish. I think that they are going extinct. Here is some info on them. If anyone has any pictures of the fish they caught I'd also like to see them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paddlefish

Tom

3. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hard to catch them on a pole. Most people snag them. Hoopnetters do get them when they are running.

4. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    There not catfish at all. But there not going extinct either. If you want to see spoonbill just come on down the Ohio River a little ways, you will see all of them you want too..lol

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I've caught a couple of them.

Attached Files:

6. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey spoonfish

Do yiou think you just got a couple of them over the years, Why I hear your the best spoonfishermen in the whole country, and that why you use punch bait for them, cause there crazy over that stuff, I hear from your buddys that you put that stuff on a number # 10 hook and let them swallow it ..LMAO

7. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    You must be talking about one of these things. :smile2: I caught 4 little bitty spoonbill while snagging at Chain of Rocks this spring on the Mississippi. I'd much rather snag those big asian carp than those mini spoons. Tablerock has plenty of big spooners for me to tangle with when I make it down there.

Attached Files:

8. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    What does everyone do with those? They good eatin? I've never seen one before :)

9. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I take it that most of you fellers KNOW this Don Wessling person? :eek:oooh:

10. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    :crazy: why no, what ever do you mean? :crazy: :smile2::smile2::eek:oooh:

11. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Of course not do you ?

12. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    Boy I'm sure glad you all steered me straight on spoonbills. I always assumed they were another cat cousin since most people refer to them as catfish. I still would like to bring one in some day and release it after a picture.

13. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    March 15th thru April 30th is the season here Don. Be happy to have you aboard if you'd like to ride along.....

14. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Hmmm, maybe I'll change my name....:big_smile:

15. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I read in the paper a few weeks ago that the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife would clean, package and return the fish to you in exchange for its roe. Seems paddlefish eggs make an excellent caviar, so the department figured this to be a good way to collect a large quantity of the eggs. This offer was available on selected bodies of water.

16. DetectDave

DetectDave New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My Arkansas buddy gets $69 a pound for spoonbill roe in season so I can see why the state wants to get them:)

17. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I live in Georgia, and we just don't have those around here. Are they good eating? Or are they a menace fish like the carp, hence the allowable snagging? They sure look cool!

18. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I accidentally snagged one a few years ago below carlyle dam. The meat is supposed to compare with swordfish. They don't have any bones in the meat. It's like a shark. You get big ole's slabs of really white meat off of them. And there is like one tendon that runs down them that pulls right out. So I hear anyways. :big_smile:

19. illinois_angler

illinois_angler Member

State:
    IL
    It's been a long time since I cleaned one. Make a cut in front of the tail all the way around until you feel a different texture. Kind of like pulling a cord out when you pull the tail.

20. Billbo

Billbo New Member

State:
    Andalusia,IL
    my dad say's they'er good eatin no bones.
    snageden mid 80's when i was little 75lbs was the bigest
    that i know he cought.