Spoonbill Catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by chuck7700, May 27, 2007.

1. chuck7700

chuck7700 New Member

State:
    Coppell, TX.
    Is there any place in Texas known to have this fish? spoonbill, shovelnose. I guess there must be several names for this fish. Just curious if any one knew.
    Thanks and have a Great holiday.

2. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    They're everywhere here in Oklahoma! They're making thier runs right now also while the spillways are running water. Come give em a try. Holler at me if you need someone to go with and I'll find out were they're running the best.

3. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    Chuck; I saw two spoonbill cats caught at the Sabine river a few days ago. One was about 45lb and the other was about 15lb. Check my post in Texas Rivers.
    Joe

4. medicdano

medicdano New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Catch em when you can. Spoonbill is some FINE eating!!!

5. chuck7700

chuck7700 New Member

State:
    Coppell, TX.
    thanks xringer3. where in oklahoma do you live? Give me a number to contact you and the best time you can go.
    chuck

6. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sent ya a pm with my number. Were in TX are you at? I'll be in Princeton for several days in July visiting family. I'm gonna make a point of brining my fishing gear with me, father in law fishes alot too.

7. k5camaro

k5camaro New Member

State:
    texas
    those fish where in plenty of abundance when i was a kid my grandfather used to carry stringers of them home from the spillway at the lake.in the past 10 years i might have seen 4 or 5 caught very rarely anymore.

8. chuck7700

chuck7700 New Member

State:
    Coppell, TX.
    i live in coppell, tx. thats just north of dallas, tx.

9. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I won't be far from you when I'm there in July. Are there any good lakes or rivers to fish in the area? I usually stay in a hotel, but would rather find a cabin or rv to rent at a lake if there are any close to McKinny or Princeton?

10. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    What in the world is a "spoonbill catfish" ??

I know about paddlefish, also called spoonbill, but they're not related to catfish in any way...

11. chuck7700

chuck7700 New Member

State:
    Coppell, TX.
    i'm sure we can find some lake to fish.

12. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Spoonbills are in the catfish family.:cool2:

13. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Spoonbills or paddlefish cannot be taken from Texas waters.

14. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    From what I understand, they're not in the catfish family, but more like sturgeon.

15. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Can You tell me is snagging these fish the only way you can catch 'em

16. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
  17. benelli101

benelli101 New Member

State:
    mississippi
    Does anyone know if they can be taken in Mississippi? I always through them back because i am fairly certain they cannot be taken.

18. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Nope. Here's an excerpt from TPWD on spoonbills/paddlefish:

Paddlefish are sometimes called a spoonbill, spoonbill cat, or shovelnose cat because some have mistaken the paddlefish as a member of the Catfish family. It is one of only four cartilaginous fish native to Texas. The chestnut lamprey, brook lamprey and shovelnose sturgeon are the others. Paddlefish were first seen by Europeans in the 16th century, when Hernando De Soto explored the Mississippi River.
    Habitat

19. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i hear them called spoonbill cats all the time, but they are in no way a catfish. i think folks call them that because they have the same slick skin as a catfish.
    i saw a few down on the red river a few weeks ago. if you hook in to one from the tx side of the river, you must throw it back immediately. if you hook it on the ok side, it's okay to keep.
    they are some of the best eating fish i have ever had, if you ever have a chance to go fish for them take it up!