Spoonbill around Sailboat Bridge on Grand Lake

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by BajaCoop, Jan 24, 2010.

1. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    Getting an itch to do some snagging and since I have 2 more months to wait for Missouri's season to open up I got to thinking about Grand Lake in OK and was wondering if it would be worth a 4.5 hour drive and if anyone could give me some tips.

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Ed i talked to a neighbor guy last nite that said they are stacked up there now. I don't have any snaggin rods but if ya come down let me know and ya'll can stop and eat supper or something.

3. catfishinfordman

catfishinfordman New Member

State:
    Broken Arrow, O
    they might be stacked up there but they are probably the little ones this early

4. hd99softail69

hd99softail69 New Member

State:
    southeast ,kansas
    They should be to the west side of sailboat bridge. They like the drop offs into the creek channel...Follow with a GPS and you should do good... Thats were they like to winter at...Have caught alot of em in the 50lb range there....Good luck

5. grandfisher

grandfisher Member

State:
    missouri
    I've been hearing they're stacked up around and above Sailboat Bridge. I was fishing a couple of days ago up at Twin Bridges and I caught a 5lb spoonbill in the throw net. Last year, while catfishing, I accidentally snagged several spoonbill weighing from 15-20 lbs during January! I think you'd find good snagging in the Sailboat Bridge area and it might be good to have a look just a little to the North. The water in the rivers is muddy and in the low 40s right now and it's got fish to moving. I'm not a spoonbiller though but I know that somewhere, there's some spoonbill waiting to be caught. Good luck.

6. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Both side's of the bridge in the deeper parts of the channel. Can't miss them on ur sonar. I don't hear anybody mention the deep hole on the east side about 70 yards or so up the arm that goes back toward the city boat ramp. They stack up in their to.

7. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Forgot to mention to check out the little changes to the Oklahoma spoonbill Reg's this year.

8. NRA_Guns_Winner

NRA_Guns_Winner New Member

State:
    kansas/Oklahoma
    Any luck here with out a boat?

9. jayhawkokie

jayhawkokie New Member

State:
    Grand Lake Oklahoma
    I was talking to Sam who runs the Sport Center in Grove, he said they are catching them there around Sailboat Bridge. He also told me some guy and his wife snagged a 52# Blue Cat whild trying for Spoonbills.

I'm going to buy a cheep snagging rig and give it a try this year just to see what it's like.