spoon billed

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Jeremy Sheffey, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Boys and Girls, i have heard a little about this allusive catfish and i was wondering if there is a special method for catching these odd looking cats or if its just a luck of the draw type of thing. i have heard of people snagging them but i was wondering if you can fish for them. if so how, and where do you start? is there certain habitats better suited for them, etc.

2. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    Snaggin is the only way i have ever heard off. SOMEONE FROM MISSOURI take me next season i want to catch one :wink::big_smile:

3. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Yeah snagging them is best from what I hear.I would like to catch one but not any around here.

4. Sound

Sound New Member

State:
    Arkadelphi
    Snagging is about the only way. They are actually a sturgeon. They are like a whale shark and about only feed on small matter in the water. But people have told me they have caught them on crawdads. Spoonbill is just a nick name. I got a few this spring. I have a picture of one on my profile. I have a better picture of a couple in the back of truck I will try and upload. BTW their tail fins are stiff and the best way to land them just grap around tail and pick them up.

5. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    my good friend and fishing buddy of mine were talking about snagging lastnight, but we aren't really sure about it. seems like it takes a lot of skill and more luck. we have the set ups if we ever decided to try it, but have never been.

6. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    When my son was 12 he went down to sardis ms and fished or snagged a huge spoonbil. He was already 5 foot nine in the picture nd the spoonbill was 40 something pounds. There is a pictures in my albums of it. too cool

7. chad69dart

chad69dart New Member

State:
    Alabama
    we catch them all the time on trot lines and limb lines. The great debate is are they hitting the cut bait we use for small blues or are they just hitting the hooks and snagging them selves.

Ive caught them where they have swallowed the hooks so i believe they will hit the bait. Sad thing is here in Alabama they are protected and its a about $1000 ticket if your caught with one. So its not uncommon to see a 3ft Spoonbill floating around that's been caught on a trot line dies and just thrown back dead.

Some might call me a lie but I also have caught them on worms and minnows white perch fishing and bream fishing.

We used to eat them when i was a kid before it against the law but sad to say now we throw them back alive or dead.

8. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    They are suppose to be plankton eaters I have been told but I too have
    caught them on a hook many times. Like others have said in Alabama
    "you must immediately return it to waters from which it came" or you
    may go to the pokey.