Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Penn Reels, Whisker Seeker, Sage, St. Croix rods, Ande Monster
47 Posts
Hey guys, I'm looking for a spooling station or device that can support a spool that is 4". Thanks.
My solution to this is incredibly fancy. The tighter that you tape the center, and/or front flaps, dictates how much pressure on the retrieve. I put a 15 pound kettlebell inside of it to weigh it down. Handles any size spool, and was free.

Wood Gas Hardwood Box Rectangle

·
Registered
Penn Reels, Whisker Seeker, Sage, St. Croix rods, Ande Monster
47 Posts
I think “fancy” is an understatement; I see you went for the upgraded Prime option.
That sir is some first class hillbilly ingenuity.

…W
You can’t just go and buy this in a store….. this is the VIP, limited edition.

In all honesty, it actually works really well. I’m able to lay braid on at 8/10 pounds of tension so it’s really solidly tight on a spool. I’ve debated building some thing similar, but this works really well, and when it wears out, I grab a new box.

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
A lot depends on what type reel you are planning to add line to. Putting line on a bait caster is simple. I have used both feet and a pencil for years with no problems. The new & improved Amazon Prime spooler, I may just have to take the plunge.

If you are adding line to a spinning reel it is a different ballgame.

I bought one of these

It seem to get the twists right and definitely gives you something to watch while you put line on your reel.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A lot depends on what type reel you are planning to add line to. Putting line on a bait caster is simple. I have used both feet and a pencil for years with no problems. The new & improved Amazon Prime spooler, I may just have to take the plunge.

If you are adding line to a spinning reel it is a different ballgame.

I bought one of these

It seem to get the twists right and definitely gives you something to watch while you put line on your reel.
I'm looking for a spooling station for spinning reels. I saw the Piscifun. It looked good, but I saw it was only able to support spools up to 2.56".

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I don't do photos so try to picture this.
Kinda like what Craig Whyte has, but for spinning and spincast reels. 1- 1X6X12", 1- 2X6X12" boards and a 1/2X6X12" sheet of lead. They are stacked together with a 5/16" hole drilled 4" from the ends. The 1" board holes are counter sunk for flat head bolts. The 2" board is bored so a washer and nut are below the surface. 1 bolt is flush with the top and the other is a 6" bolt. A washer is added to the long bolt, the spool is added, another washer, spring and wing nut. I can swap the spring to the bottom and I have different length springs for different spools. It can sit on the floor, desk, anywhere and doesn't move.
It sit out and collects dust. Thinking of John's spooller, I could clean this one up, paint it and have storage for it along with extra spools and I could spool baitcasters too.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't do photos so try to picture this.
Kinda like what Craig Whyte has, but for spinning and spincast reels. 1- 1X6X12", 1- 2X6X12" boards and a 1/2X6X12" sheet of lead. They are stacked together with a 5/16" hole drilled 4" from the ends. The 1" board holes are counter sunk for flat head bolts. The 2" board is bored so a washer and nut are below the surface. 1 bolt is flush with the top and the other is a 6" bolt. A washer is added to the long bolt, the spool is added, another washer, spring and wing nut. I can swap the spring to the bottom and I have different length springs for different spools. It can sit on the floor, desk, anywhere and doesn't move.
It sit out and collects dust. Thinking of John's spooller, I could clean this one up, paint it and have storage for it along with extra spools and I could spool baitcasters too.
Oh, sounds like a nice spooling station!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Honestly I don't think there's a good option for a spoiling station short of getting a shop level model or building one yourself. I've had a couple of the Berkley and Amazon ones over the years and they don't hold up to well. Then again I got 30+ reels I use for different things and I respool more frequently then most 😂

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Honestly I don't think there's a good option for a spoiling station short of getting a shop level model or building one yourself. I've had a couple of the Berkley and Amazon ones over the years and they don't hold up to well. Then again I got 30+ reels I use for different things and I respool more frequently then most 😂
Oh, alright. Thank you for the input.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just kind of stuck a pencil in the crack of my side walk and plopped a spool on it and reeled like crazy ,tensioning it with my finger,however I have often thought of making a more mechanically professional one,simple task,I just never get around to it before the next reel needs doin,and then I’m in too much of a hurry to waste time building one right then,and after I spool it,welI …I just don’t need one right away,so it can wait til I do …and it just go’s on and on!
I’m thinking I could do one right now,except I could either go to bed,or go cat fishing,both of which are more inviting than building a reel spooler .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts