Spooling line on a Baitcaster

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by ThaWstSide, Mar 13, 2009.

1. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Ok, how difficult is it to spool line on a baitcaster? I have 5 that need line put on them, I lined 1 last season and it worked perfectly fine. I was just wondering if there is a trick to spooling "braided" line and what is the best way to start and what type of knot to use to begin....

2. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    cover the spool with light test mono first tie on the braid have some hold the spool fairly tight and reel , then when all done tie it off unreel it and reel it back up holding tight . just my way of doing it

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    its pretty simple i use the arbor knot to tie onto the spool.

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    or add a small piece of tape to spool so the braid will grab on and not slip on the spool, no real big deal to it...

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I just tie the braid right to the spool. The trick is get on there as TIGHT as you can. The tighter the better. This keeps it from digging in.

6. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I've learned that if you soak the braid first then load it on the reel while it is soaking wet you can spool it on much tighter and it will stay and not dig in.

7. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Hmmm, interesting... Thanks for the input, but ya'll are starting to worry me talking about "digging iin"! I think I will have someone who does it for a living do it for me, and then I might try after watching one being done... I really appreciate everybody that has posted to help me! :roll_eyes:

8. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    To get your line real tight, if you have accesss to a boat. Once you have fill your spooled up, While the boat is under way, let all your line out again. Then start reel in your line while the boat is moving. While you are doing this, you might think you are reeling in a 100 pound catfish. There will no more problems about digging in.

9. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I've spooled up a few reels with Power Pro braid-50-80lb, and while reeling it onto the reel, I just use good stout tension through my thumb and forefinger as I'm reeling it. I've not had any problems with it digging in,,,

10. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    The reason braid "digs in" is because it is new and fresh and "puffed up". If you soak it first on the spool it came on and then tie it on your reel and put tension on it with your thumb and forefinger while winding it on it will never dig in and you don't have to have any backing either.

I've got a tidewater 30l reel with 50lb spider wire braid on it. It holds a lot of line and because I soaked it first before putting it on I have never had no problems with it digging in. I also did not put any backing or mono on the spool first.

11. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    I wrap a piece of black tape around the spool first then use thumb and forefinger to hold tension on line. I also put on a jersy glove, braided line gets mighty hot on the thumb and finger if you don't.

12. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    well me being a tightwad i have several reels that hold over 200 yds of 50# braid so i put about 100 yds of mono on my reels first then add about 100 yds of braid. i dont see any point in having all that unused braid on my reels. then when i get low on the braid from breaking off or retying alot i can strip it off and add another 100 yds. this way u can spool 3 reels with a 300 yd spool of braid.

13. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    Good idea fishstick, I've thought about doin' that with the mono, just never have tried it. Didn't know how it would work. Need to respool 4 reels, might give 'er a whirl.

14. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I load braid the same way that fishstick does. Can't see useing braid just to take up space on the spool.