Spooling braid question

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Jun 12, 2008.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    MY CUSIN GAVE ME SOME OF THE GORILLA TOUGH 50 LB ANDIM GOING TO PUT ON ONE POLE THAT I USE IN A AREA FOR CARP FISHING ....I WAS CURIOUS IF ITS ANY DIFFERENT SPOOLING BRAID THAN SPOOLING MONO

I WAS LOOKING ON THE WEB BUT IT DOESNT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT IT FOR SPINNING REELS...

I ALWAYS LET MY LINE SOAK IN OIL OR WATER FOR A WHILE AND THEN SPOOLING UP,THIS LINE IS A SINKING BRAID TOO ......

ANY SUGGESTIONS ?????

I HAVENT SPOOLED ANY ON MY POLE YET

2. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    braid will slip if you do not use a mono backing and you need to wind it tight so it will not cut into your line

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Most the time I put fishing line on reels not poles. :wink: TIGHT TIGHT and TIGHT. Is the key to putting braid on. The tighter you get it the better. You put it on so tight that you can hardly turn the handle on the reel with the drag wrenched down as TIGHT as it can go. Take a rod, run the spool though the rod then take some big washers and place them on each end. The spool is going to get smoking hot almost.:big_smile: You can either have someone hold it. Or what I did was stick one end of the rod in a vice and then took the other end and pushed it up against the vice and put 2 big clamps up against the washers on the free end. Make sure you get it tight tight up against it.

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    You can also wrap the braid a few times and then use electrical tape or even better is the white first aid tape. I few times around is amazingly strong. Both ways work fine...I tape mine.

I also soak my line, all kinds, mono, braid,etc.

-Jim-

5. iluvcatfishin

iluvcatfishin New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    When using tape do you wrap it around the entire length of the spool completely covering the couple of wraps already there?

Im going to have to respool 2 of my abassadeurs I put braided line on. I spooled them entirely with braided line without a mono backing or tape.

6. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    If you do not put a backing on the bred will spin on the spool, Hope this helps

7. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i didnt put any backing on one of my poles when i strung it with mono and it didnt slip. just tie a good tight knot in you will be alright. always helps with a mono backing but you dont nesicarly need it. you should be alright. anyway when are you going to cast out so far that it takes your whole spool?

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Sorry I took so long to reply, I was on vacation ; )

I wrap the braid around the spool 2 or 3 times and then the tape goes around 2 times.

-Jim-

9. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    if i'm going full spool braid i start with about 20ft of mono to prevent slipping then fill it with braid under a lot of tension.

if i'm going half braid half mono then i half fill the reel with 40lb test mono then tie 20lb braid to it and fill it under tension. the reason i use 40lb mono is in case i get that far i don't have to worry about knot failure and i can apply a little more pressure if needed(knock wood)

10. Shreveport Mike

Shreveport Mike New Member

State:
    louisiana
    I use braided line on all of my reels. I spool it just like mono. I have never used a mono backing. As far as spooling it super tight, I've never done that before either. It seems like the first time you cast, it would reel back up at a normal pressure anyway. The main reason I started using braided, was for the long cast. I bank fish and use 15 foot rods. With a 3 ounce diamond spoon and 20 lb. braided line, I cast about 140 to 160 yards. Most 20 lb. braided has the same diameter as 4 lb. mono. So the thinner the line, the farther the cast. I say most braided line, because, not all braided lines are equal. The brand that you have, says that it has a smaller diameter, but hold it next to 20 lb. mono, and you'll see that they are about the same thickness. Also that braided line will soak up the water, and become very heavy. If you were intending to use it for a longer cast, forget about it. It will actually shorten your casting distance. I prefer spider wire, it casts good and lasts a while.

11. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    The fact that Braid is made of fiber and not a plastic will make for numerous differences.
    1. You do not need Backing on the spool before loading braid.
    2. You should use Electrical or Duct or Medical Tape to wrap
    completely around the spool.
    3. The soaking of braid is not necessary, but as stated will make the line
    tighten into itself once dryed. (Why would you use oil?)
    4. Always load braid under tention as it will lay on the spool better and not
    cut into itself.
    All statred is JMHO! I have and will continue to use braid on all of my reels other than float fishing speciality setups.

HOPPY4

12. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    the oil on the mono was by accident..... i had water and oil in 2 containers accidently put it in oil but i caught a bunch of fish on the line i experimented with so i think it will work...

i dont do it any more but i still ponder the idea

13. Foam Steak

Foam Steak New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have always used a wrap of medical tape before tieing on the line and have not had any problems. The spool probably has as much to do with the slipping as anything. If you have a rough graphite spool you probably will not have as many problems as someone with a super polished Aluminum spool. I think the medical tape just gives the line something to dig into.

14. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    The main reason that I have heard used by others for Backing was that it allowed you to place a Limited amount of line on and keep the spool filed! This then places a knot in the line and add a Point of Failure. If you can fill the spool with a continous section of Braid, you will lower the number of failure points. The use of tape has been an addition that I use for many years. This was after another angler was seen with the line spinning as he turned the handle. This happened to be with Mono and I was more than a little surprised. I told him my solution and he made the change with Great results. The spool will make a difference, but the tape will solve this particular problem. JMHO!!!!!!

HOPPY4