spooled me

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by drpepper, Sep 6, 2008.

1. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Just got home,, man the river is nearly un-navigateable but I fought my way down river a bit to fish an awesome log-jams near a 10 ft pool I'd been wanting to fish since the last flood. First off the bat,, I caught a couple small channels... then about a 15 lb flattie then I started feeding the damn softshells my gills.
    I grabbed my abu 5500 channel cat rig and baited a small gill on it and tossed it up near the bank behind a root wad, 5 min later the rod smashed down and I set the hook... that fish spooled me in 10 seconds flat and was gone with all my line... never had that happen before, I know that fish would've been my PB for years, my god, it was freakin' huge man... Sure wish it was my abu 7000, I would've had a chance.... Man that sucks,, It's almost more than I can stand!

2. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thats what you get when you use 12 pound test and 3 pounds of drag... hahahahaha... No really where did you go and what boat?

3. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    You never know whats going to hit your bait so it a chance of the draw and this time you lost the draw

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    LOL! Sounds like the fish that I ALMOST caught the other night! He's still waiting for us when you get here, Bill!
    BB in SC

5. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Man I hate to hear that. Wish you would have gotten it in. I know what what you mean about wishing it would have been you heavyier equipment. Last week I caught my pb blue in the mo river and it had to hit my lightest rod. But I got it in and it was 81 pounds. Luck I got it in without breaking my rod. I wish you better on the next one. But you have to admit fishing is a blast.

Tom

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    oh that sounds like a fish story to me. lol you still have a month to camp on that hole brother, you will get that fish if you haunt him! hope you do man.

7. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I had 40 lb braid on it and had the drag cranked down enough to pull the boat off it front anchor!
    I had to pull the boat about 200 ft across an ankle deep riff to get there.

8. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah, but bad thing is.... he's got all that line he's trailng around by his jaw and it's bound to get tangled in that snag infested area.

9. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Bill, after I calmed down and got my pole back in the water, I remembered your email mine never tangled a snag it just took all my line. if tangling a snag was all I think I'd've went divin' for it!
    If I had a sweet river to fish in like you do (your spoiled) I wouldn't even own a light reel lol!!!
    I sure hope those hurricanes leave us alone Bill. I'm sure I'll get my PB blue in SC (that won't be hard)
    Hopefully I'll get my PB flattie too.

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    < I'm sure I'll get my PB blue in SC (that won't be hard)>

If you don't, it won't be because we don't put forth the effort! :)

BB in SC

11. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    We'll be doin' 9 days of fishing is it? That not just merely effort... thats obsession! My wife thinks somethings wrong with me... but she knew way before she married me.

12. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Bill,
    Sounds like you hooked into a heck of a fish. I bet the first time that braid gets hung up the hook will straighten and pull out.
    Give it a week and go after it again. Keep us posted...W

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Believe me, brother, the Gamakatsu 8.0 Octopus circles, 4X strong, won't straighten out with a wrecker cable hooked to 'em! :)
    BB in SC

14. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Oh yeah, to answer your last question first, the 10 ft lowe.
    The second question is top secret.... If I told ya, I'd have to kill ya:smile2:

15. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <We'll be doin' 9 days of fishing is it?>

Of HARD fishin', night/day/rain/shine!!!!!!!!!!!! :) We can certainly rest if we get tired! :wink:

BB

16. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    After reading ya'lls posts, I want to go fishing with you guys. Man, you seem to go all the places I hear about or see, but can't get to.

17. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    I bet I know where it is....

18. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    yeah... you do.

19. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    Im going to go down to the river with a treble and hook your line and drag the fish out... lol

20. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I went back after 'em last night, In the storm... I got caught up in it and had to quit.....