Spool v. Baitcast

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Catmaster, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I am kind of doing a survey because I am thinking about switching over soly to baitcast because it seems like when I am reeling in bigger fish the spool looks and sounds like it is about to break. So

Spool or Baitcast?

2. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Catmaster,

I use a "Tidewater / Freeliner Spining Reel" by Shimano and I haven't had that problem yet. With the Tidewater / Freeliner I feel as if I have the best of both worlds (Spining Reel & Baitcaster). :)
    :0a26:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool:
    (Shaina)

3. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I like abu baitcast, spining reels to much trouble for me, line twist and I can't cast them as accurate. But that is just for me I'm not knocking them.

4. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    For me, there is a time and place for each! I perfer the baitcaster most times, but an ultra-light spinning outfit can be a blast at times, too! Both types make excelent reels and it's a matter of individual choice! There is a learning curve with baitcasters though!

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Deltalover pretty much said it for me! Although when targeting big cats I almost always prefer Baitcasters with Clicker/fish alarm system. Abu's are great baitcasters! But I personnally prefer a Penn reel, whether it's baitcaster or spinning. To each his own.:)

Zakk

6. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Spinning is alright, if you an let him run. If you have to power a big cat out of cover, casting will get the job done. I like the Abu 7000. And the Penn 320 GT2 and 209.

7. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I do have a mitchell 310 I use for ultra-lite fishing and enjoy it very much. I'm just not very accurate with it.