spool tension question..

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by bownero, May 4, 2008.

1. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hi fellow BOC members!! I have a question concerning the spool tension knob on my 6500 Abu Chrome Rocket. What is the best setting for this knob? This is the knob on the left side plate of the reel. Do you tighten the knob all the way and back it off slightly? Or is there a sweet spot for the setting? I know if the knob is to loose there is some wobble in the spool when reeling. Your help will be greatly appreciated. :big_smile::big_smile:

I already know how to set the mechanical brake knob for casting performance. The knob on the right side plate of the reel. I always back off the mechanical brake knob and the spool tension knob and also the star drag when I'm done fishing.

Thanks for the help.
    Mark..

2. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Once you get the spool tension set for casting, you don't have to back them off at the end of a fishing trip. It doesn't save anything. Backing the drag off will save on your drag wasthers though, but that's the only thing you should back off.

On the double knob reels, the knob on the left side is your tension knob. You set the right side to get the spool even on both sides and to take any side to side play out of it. Then you set the spool tension for casting with the knob on the left side. It takes a little more playing around with it than the ones that only have the spool tension knob on the right side, but once it's set, leave it. Get the right side set to were the line stops when the weight hits the water if you are not experienced enough to use the thumb or just want alot of practice working out "professional overrides", LOL.

Good luck!

3. stone

stone New Member

State:
    CA
    Hi I use the left knib to balance the spool in the middle. I like to cast with the cap a little loose, such that it will tap the side a little when you move your spool from right to left. I also back off the drag a little and because the knobs are already loose, I leave them as it is. hope this helps

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    listen to vince he knows his abus:wink:

5. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    thanks guys. i was doing just the opposite. using the right knob for the cast control and the left for the spool tension. makes sense to me.:big_smile:

6. stone

stone New Member

State:
    CA
    Dont worry about it too much as it sits on the same shaft just make sure that its about center.