Spool filling stations?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by veryama1975, Feb 14, 2008.

1. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Hi,

I was in Wal-mart last night & I saw a spool filling station. What do you guys think about them? Are they worth the money? Are they better than having somebody hold your filler spool on a pencil or are they just meant to be used when you don't have somebody to hold the filler spool for you?

Thanks for any help,
    Matt

2. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    i always wondered if they would be worth it or not.. i broke down and got one of those berkley line winder stations the other day.. i tell you what.. i think it was worth the money.. gave like 25 for it.. and after getting it setup, filled three reels in under 20 min.. really made it a lot easier. I would recommend one to anyone.. do you need it.. probably not.. is it nice.. for sure.

3. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I had one of the Brekley fill stations for about 20 mins before it went back. I would not waste the money on it. One can be made for less money and it can be set up to hold all spool sizes... I'm doing a write up now on how I made my station. Hope to have it up soon.

4. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Never had one but i have never had a problem putting on new line. I have my fishing buddy to help spool our gear. lol it usually takes a couple hours though when we do them we do them all.25-30 rigs 2 hours aint that bad.

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I have and use the Berkley black system, have for years, nothing wrong with it, not sure what is meant about the spool size but it hold all the 3000 yard spools I use, also have one of the electric "pro shop" systems and it works great, but it is a pain in the rear to load each time, picked it up at a sale so nothing much invested 20 bucks, the Berkly is very helpful to me I like it​

6. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    The older one was much better the new one you just set the spool in a cradle and put a towle over it to proved the tension. Here is a pic of the old one and the new one.

Attached Files:

7. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Hey Dan,

The new one in your pic is the kind I saw in Wal-mart. What is better about the old one? I wish I could take the one at Wal-mart out of its package & look at it to get a better idea of what it's like.

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    The ld one is what I have also, Never even seen the other one before today :eek:oooh: what does it go for?

9. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    I don't remember exactly but I think it was around $26 to $29.

10. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    The new one was $30 some thing with tax. The problem that I had with the new ones was that the spool just stood on its edge and 2 plastic slates held it up. There was no way to apply tension to the spool other than putting the towel on the top of the spool. Also the 300 yd Power Pro spools did not fit between the slates like it showed.

The old on has a tension setting on it like some of the others that were out on the market. I will have picks of the one I made this weekend. With all the parts I have a total of $10 in vested in it. Hope that helped some.

11. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Thanks. I'll be interested to see those pics of the one you made. In case I don't want to make my own though, could you recommend a good relatively inexpensive filling station? I'm thinking that it might not be easy to find the old ones anymore.

12. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
  13. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    i have the berkley spool filling station. great investment. i've owned it for 7 yrs.? it does a great job winding line on baitcasters and spinning reels. keeps even tension when spooling the reels. for around 25 bucks, it's worth it.:big_smile:

14. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Agreed.

I have the older one and it is completely worth it. So much easier than the pencil thing or any other way people have done it. I can fill all of my reelas in 80% less time than if I did it any other way.

15. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I checked with Bass Pro and Cabela's and they were out of the old one and they were Selling the new one. You might check with Catfish Connection. They might have the old one.

16. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    i bought one of the "old" ones at bass pro just the other day.. at the St. Louis store.

17. CATFISH HUNTER61

CATFISH HUNTER61 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thaay are ok got one but thinking of getting one fron bass pro.

18. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I guess the old one has the metal bar that the spool fits on it, with the tenstion springs on each side? (Since I don't have 10 posts yet, I don't get to look at pics yet, LOL). That's the one I bought at the Bass Pro in Cincy a couple of weeks ago. $25, gosh, I wish I'd have bought it a LONG time ago, I love the thing. Of course, at the Spring Classic last Thursday, it went on sale for that day at $15. Oh well, I still think that it was $25 well spent.

19. Defender

Defender New Member

State:
    Hastings, Nebraska
    is just something I put together this week. I use a bolt through the line spool into a big hunk of log. I have washers at either end of the spool, and a piece of spring between the head of the bolt and washer. By adjusting how far I screw the bolt into the log I adjust the tension on the spool.

It's simple and works well.