spooky

Discussion in 'Bank Fishing' started by head hunter, Nov 13, 2009.

1. head hunter

head hunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    when fishing on the BANK, by yourself,,has anyone ever been spooked by something ,if so
    what what was it ?? ( NO BIGFOOT STORIES PLEASE ,)

Some of you guys might think this is funny ,,but,, I fish by myself alot ,,mainly so no one else has stories on me ,,but all summer I kept hearing what I thought to be coyoteys ,,,,getting closer to me while fishing,, And yes I've even left a spot or two because of it. untill 1 morning I figured out it was ,,,,BARRED OWLS.. the reason I know it was owls ,,it had every gobbler turkey in the area going crazy. I still laugh to myself for thinking it was coyotes,,,,,,,,,,,,

2. head hunter

head hunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    I SHOULD POINT OUT THAT I USE RAW STEAK ALOT WHEN FISHING FOR BLUES AND CHANNELS PLUS I AM TALKING ABOUT NIGHT FISHING 2 AM TILL MORNING,,,

3. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I've never heard it, but they say turkeys will gobble at coyote howling too. Back when I used to watch a lot of hunting shows a coyote call was one of the shock gobble calls some of those guys carried with them.

4. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    beaver 4 feet away from the boat...:eek:oooh: new underwear

5. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Yep...been there...needed to quit fishing for a moment to collect myself...and wipe!

6. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Had some hair raisen times I would say.

7. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    besides the normal beaver slapping his tail on the water or gator growling,the spookiest thing thats happened to me while bank fishing happened about 15 to 20 yrs. ago.my dad,my unkle,and my self were fishing the flint river in ga. at night.we had walked up river a half mile or so.the guy that owned the land did'nt care who fished it.Well we were sittin' there fishing small fire goin' real quiet,when all of a sudden some said y'all need to pack up and go,bout 1 A.M.,we turned around there were two guys standing there in pin striped suits.the middle of nowhere ,now.so i don't think i have to say what we did.now i'm not a scarey person,but can you imagine what went through our minds.well on the way out there was a corvette & cadillac parked in the cow pasture by the road.i have'nt fished there any more.:embarassed:

8. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    it was barney frank and friends enjoying a moonlit walk lmao

9. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    I was Standing waste deep in the water with chest waders on bowfishing. Standing very still, intent on a big Grass carp that was moving towards me. A Snake about 6ft long comes up from behind me and half wraps itself around my waist. It stayed there for a minute or so and then moved on, I guess it thought I was a tree or something. I can assure you, I didn't move or take a breath the whole time.

10. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    First time that I had a muskie follow my lure to within 3 feet of where I was standing. Always wanted to catch one, but that close encounter made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. :wink:

Ray

11. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have 3. 1- When I was 16 I went to visit an uncle in Minnesota. I wading in the water fishing for bass casting into lillipads when all of a sudden I saw this big muskrat swimming right towards me, he swam right between my legs and I thought I was gonna s#$t my pants but he just swam straight thru and kept going. I wasnt ready for that being young and from chicago, all I saw were squirrels, pigeons, rats, cats and dogs lol.
    2-this past summer me and some friends were fishing the appomattox when suddenly behind us something on the hill was running thru the woods, it was so loud we thought it was bear because no animal other than a bear or human could make such a loud noise running through thru the woods. we ran for the water but it stopped lol :crazy::smile2: my friend talked of running to his truck but i told him he wouldnt have made it if it was bear, I'd rather swim across the river lol.
    3-just night fishing by myself along the james at night, I have heard many noises from animals I have no idea what they were, I just packed up my s#$t and left :smile2:

12. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Come on over my way for a little fishing next year.At least if they aint biting,we could have some steak sandwiches!I,ll bring some cut bait,you can bring the steak.LOL:wink:

13. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    same place different times

while fishing under a bridge in downtown wilmington me and a friend of mine hear 3 rounds being fired then a 4th(from me)i know it wasn't smart and 2 wrongs don't make a right but it turns out it was a gun buy and the idiot was test firing it and i got to be the witness to shots fired.

another time 2 friends of mine were in the same place when out of the blue an air conditioner unit fell off a patio and landed about 50feet from them. it was a genuine accident.

another time one of the same guys is there again and he hears some shouting and then bam a guy fell in the water next to him. turns out a guy caught his wife cheating they get in an arguement and one of them gets thrown over the side. 4 stories up and lands in less than 2 feet of water.

and just when you think the city can be bad...i almost had a deliverence moment 8 miles down the C&D canal. but it wasn't that kind of party and it was bround daylight.

14. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Maybe time to scout out a new spot there Mark?:eek:oooh::crazy:.

15. festus

festus New Member

Nah, I've never really been scared, but have been startled as many others have already stated by beaver tail slaps after dark.

But several times I've taken co-workers or other friends from the city who'd never really fished in the country and they'd be scared. It usually was from rough terrain, or the looks of some of the backwoods cretins we'd meet on the riverbank or meet some Deliverance-looking folks in some country store where we'd stop and pick up a bologna sandwich, moon pie, or RC. I was born and raised in the country but usually worked out of the city, spent several years land surveying, and that's definitely not an occupation for the faint of heart. :cool2:

16. redneck_oh_44833

redneck_oh_44833 New Member

State:
    Galion Ohio
    I've never been scared by anything while fishing in Ohio but when I lived in Alaska I had a huge grizzly bear walk out in the river about 30 yards away. I was more than happy to let him have the fishing hole. My son got scared about 5 years ago when a rat ran accost his legs at about midnight. he was half asleep and it definatly woke him up.

17. festus

festus New Member

Mark, we ran into something slightly similar when I was in my early 20's. We were night fishing a remote river in the wee hours of the morning. You couldn't get into this without a 4 wheel drive or dirt bike, or walk a railroad. Nevertheless, it was still inside the city limits of a small town whose police force probably didn't own an all terrain vehicle.

Upstream from us a bunch of yehoos were shooting off dynamite, we don't really think they were throwing it into the river to kill fish, but we starting to get angry and one of my friends hollered and told them to stop. Then all at once something tugged his line and he reeled in one of those big eel-like salamanders about two feet long. He totally flipped out; had never seen one. I told him it was a harmless amphibian, but he was about drunk and pulled some type of pistol out of his coat and blew the salamander to smithereens. Apparently the idiots upstream had walked in, anyway we must have scared them when the gun went off because heard them hit the trail up the railroad.

18. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    pat the catfishing is decent, but draws us there is the spring striper run imagine standing in waist deep water and having 10-30lb stripers run right next to you or get drilled by one that is hooked by one of your friends. gettint there is half the battle its about a 1/2 mile hike down river no sidewalks or real trails and most of it is unlit too. this bridge is the dividing line on one side high end comdos and 2 blocks from the other side the edge of possibly the second worst area in wilmington go figure and for the most part you're ignored while you're under the bridge people that come out on their balconies and see you will wave and shake their heads and chuckle.

19. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I've had deer startle me with close range meets on trails,and had a big old coon in my lap one night,mink slip right into my bait bucket, a big old watersnake slipped in there once and I about crapped when I reached in in the dark for bait and got my hand slapped and when I pulled back this water snake was attached to my hand,pulled him off and sent him on his way,people have about got whooped for sneaking up on me in the dark before they just didn't think and I didn't hear their footsteps over the waves,etc. slapping the shore.These happenings got my heart thumping and my blood pumping,but there's nothing around here to scare me off my spot,maybe a mountain lion or two but they are rare and don't mess with ya,besides you wouldn't hear one comming if he was after you till to late.

20. Kevin G

Kevin G New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I've had a huge buck sneak up on me one day. He was running toward the bank right at be and saw me at the last second and turned away. I about stumbled into the pond. Recently, I went fishing at a pond in a cow pasture with one bull. The bad thing was I was wearing red and my xterra was red. That bull eyed me down, but boy I was keen on catching a few crappie for dinner. Needless to say, I had dinner that night :smile2: