Sponge Bait

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by Wallbass, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Wallbass

Wallbass New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hi..Im new here. I use sun rendered Fish oil as a scent when trapping. And was thinking of uesing it on a Sponge like a sponge bait. What do you think?
    Thanks Jeff

2. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    It is worth a shot. Lets use know how it works maybe you stumbled on to something.

3. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i think it might work better in some sort of dough ball. just my opinion though. i think that it you use it on a sponge it will loose the scent to fast. but if you mix it with some chicken blood, a little water and flour, you might have yourself some really nice bait there. throw in some garlic and it would probably be unstoppable. good luck and let us know how it works out for you. we may be on to a new concept (or old one i dont know about) here.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    It might just work. Give it a try and give us an update. I've used menhaden oil(also used in traps), as an additive to old stink baits, and got good results. You can grind shad up and save the oil and get good results also.:big_smile:

5. Wallbass

Wallbass New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks All
    I know the stuff stinks to all get out...May have to resoak often....Jeff:wink:

6. sbirnel

sbirnel New Member

State:
    TX
    try a few strips of chamois, cut them, put on hook, dip in oil...will hold the smell better and longer than sponge, and looks and feels more like something edible

7. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I tried it once. Didn't get any bites.
    Mix some cheese with it and some flour and maybe.
    Oh yeah add an egg and let it spoil.
    the best to ya
    just