Split Ring Circle Hook for Blues

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by JRA, Apr 15, 2007.

1. JRA

JRA New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I just saw an article by Kieth Sutton (sp?) on Blue Catfishing in the North American Fisherman. He says that in drift fishing he uses circle hooks attached to the line with a split ring. He claims that the split ring enables the circle hook to swing more freely and helps get better hook-ups. Has anybody ever tried this before?

2. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Sounds like a weak link to me. Although a barrel swivel is sometimes a necessity the fewer knots and connections the better. Just my opinion though

Dru

3. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have seen those but didnt know the reason for it. It makes a lot of sense to me. They are always on 10/0's and up when I see them. I will have to give them a try next time around buying hooks.

4. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I've not heard of using a split ring on a hook but it seems that it might work better than a snell knot on a streight eye hook. I'll have to try that.

5. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Jeff, I've been thinking about taking the large split rings and after putting them on the hook, use a soldering iron and solder the ring. Theoretically, it should be about as strong as a welded ring.
    Another thing that I've been thinking about is using a Perfection Loop knot, there's a way to tie it with a hook in the loop. Plus the Perfection Loop has a extremely high knot strength.
    Will