split bamboo rods?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by kyledbarnes, Oct 20, 2008.

1. kyledbarnes

kyledbarnes New Member

State:
    south carolina
    anybody use a split bamboo rod for trout fishing, if so, where did you get it and how could i get one, oh and how much did it cost?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Kyle,I dont fish with them,But I have 3 that were my grandfathers. I plan on getting them re furbished and using them. I am not sure of the brand as they are old and the decals are worn off,some have two top pieces as well.

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I inherited one, handmade in 1920's. It's a wall hanger though, would never use it. I was able to find a solid brass fly reel from 1914 to put on it. As a bonus, it had line on it since it was originally stored away in the 30's. I also found a wicker fish basket from the 30/40's, not sure exact age. Matched up some old flies and the whole setup is on the wall over my right shoulder as I type.

Now, I understand the nostalgic reasons to want to use one, but like winemaking equipment, billiard cues, & music listening devices, older is rarely better with most fishing tackle and especially flyfishing. Modern advances have shown a marked improvement over years past.

(I got an old double barreled shotgun over my fireplace that I'd be scared to death to shoot!)

4. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    Bamboo fly rods are like gold. I could never afford one. But they sure are nice to look at.

5. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    i got one made in japan pre war. hand made obviously. has a pflueger progress #1774 reel. was brought back to U.S by a Marine that was in japan during the occupation. has four sections, one middle, two top, and the bottom. im sure this isn't the tech terms for these sections but i dont know what else to call um. i think this rod is made to fly fish with or bass fish if u leave out the center section. i'll get some pics up of it. work of art i must tell ya.

6. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Give us a photo of your wall Tom. We would all like to see it!:wink:

7. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i have a old one myself would never fish with it worth to much to look at to me you can get them new from a place called dimond brand <spelling it is in NC. thay do have a web site last time i priced one thay was over $300.00 for a 9ft.er

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Here ya go. First up, the fly rod.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Next is the old shotgun, Hann Scharr.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Good stuff Tom! That reel is awesome! Thanks for posting those up!:wink:

11. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I like collecting old things, especially those with a story behind them.

I have a good friend I used to work with that was really into Civil War reenactments. He & his wife go all out with her even making uniforms for both sides. He used to tell me about all the replica stuff he had. He laughed about being proud of what he did have, but that he had not one single authentic item from that war.

EBay, if you are careful, has some wonderful gems out there. I was easily able to find things like original uniform buttons an such, and bought quite a few for him. My real find for him though, was a solid brass Union Officers binoculars in excellent condition with no damage to the glass or the frame. It came from an estate auction house and contained not only authentication papers from a museum, but with papers showing who it originally belonged to during the war, all the way in which it was passed down to this estate sale.

As I said, he is a friend.

12. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Matt's Flyrod

Attached Files:

13. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i to am into collecting old reels and bamboo rods.i have several fly rods and a couple deep sea rods made from split bamboo.most of mine come from auctions that i go to.

14. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Pits u know anything about japanese split rods, the one Dad posted pics of came from occupied japan. a Marine sgt brought it back after his tour was up. it has a center section and two tip ends. has a pflueger progress #1774 reel on it. Apparently Japan has lots of lakes and mountain streams, and fishin companys were promoting angling and alot of servicemen took up fishin while serving in Riceland.