Split an arrow and Opening Day

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by my4x4awd, Sep 19, 2008.

1. my4x4awd

my4x4awd New Member

State:
    TN
    Anybody ever split an arrow. I have been shooting archery for 25 years and tonight I split an arrow. It went through the nock and six inches dow the shaft. Carbon arrows. Anyway Im off to the woods in the morning.

Craig

Attached Files:

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've robin hooded one arrow in my life. Shot off several nocks and feathers but she has to be exact to drive it home.

3. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Never have yet got really close a few times busted some nocks and ripped some fletchings. Have any of you guys ever watched myth busters, well i did for a while until they tried to split an arrow and said that it was a myth because there bow machine that they made to shoot the same everytime couldnt do it. Apperently they have never been to an archery shop.

4. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    I've taken out nocks and sliced several fletching's, but have'nt split an arrow yet.

5. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    I have robinhooded a few in my time. I used to shoot tournaments in Augusta back in the 90's. I practiced everyday in the backyard shooting several hundred arrows every day. Built my targets out of coffin cardboard put into a homemade press. Strung lights for the night time and shot this way every day for about 3 years. Used a Bear Bruin model which had 44 inch limbs, better for accuracy I think. Never hunted with the bow though. Good Luck in the woods.

6. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    Way to go man. I just shot my 4th robin hood this year the other day. Now that i got my bow tuned in it shoots great. Good luck to ya man

7. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I seen that show and they were trying to robbin hood wooden arrows not aluminum or carbon. and they did come close but wood splits with the grain so they would never get it right. but the myth they were trying to bust was in the mid-evil time period when robbin hood and the merry men took place and all they had was the wooden arrows.
    but back to the topic I have never robbin hooded one but my dad split an aluminum arrow the one arrow is inside of the other about 10 inches. he did it went I was around 17 years old and now I'm 32 so it was 15 years ago and he still has it with his bow stuff. If I can remimber when I go over there tomarrow I'll get a pic of it.

8. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I have shot a handfull of them. The lastone I remember was at 3D shoot.I was the last one to shoot in the group and when made my shot I looked through my binocs. and couldn't see the arrow. I knew I could not have missed, so mad and cussing as we waled to the target My wasn't there. we walked the target looking and seen sign of a arrow hittin the ground. Then one of the other guys told us he found it, it had went straight into a 2512 allminum shaft.I shoot easton a/c/c 3-28 25 3/4 long. It drove his insert and tip out the back of Mckinse target, and his shaft looked a snake that had just eaten.

9. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    i've robinhooded 2 arrows in 3 yrs of shooting.1 last year and 1 this year i usually stick to the 5 spot targets cause at $15 an arrow it gets exspensive

10. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Congrats on your first robinhood!

I have shot 4 robinhoods in my life. One was with broadheads and it fell apart. After a while you start shooting at another dot on the target. It gets expensive back dooring arrows like that.

11. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    I did it three times this year and watched it happen numerous other times. I shoot in a lot of 3D tournaments and it happens a lot. My favorite one was when i was in a shoot off for 1st place and i shot first, even though it was my arrow that got ruined by one of my best friends, we all got a good laugh outta it and even a few pictures.

Attached Files:

12. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I have 3 to my credit. 2 were at 20 yds and 1 at 30yds. pretty good feeling to do that!! lots and lots of broken nocks and torn vanes.

13. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i've busted nocks and ripped off fletchings, but i've never actually drove one arrow into another. that could get expensive if you keep on doin it!

14. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    Congrats on your first Robin Hood, I have a few to my name, i used to think it was alot of fun at first, and now i dont get as excited as I used to. To much money!!

15. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've split a couple, and cut one in half that a friend stuck in the ground in front of the target. He bet me $20 I couldn't hit it in three tries, from 25 yards. My first shot cut it clean in two. Not bad for a recurve shooter shooting instinctively!

16. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    no kidding. The arrows I shoot are $100 a doz ( my wife about shot me when she found that out:eek:oooh:) I can't shoot at my arrows, it is too expensive.

17. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    It really does not take much to trash a carbon. That is why I have 5 spots on my target and never shoot 2 arrows at the same spot. I have never done a true robin hood but have trashed lots of arrows.