Splicing transducer wire

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by fishingbuddy4, Nov 20, 2007.

1. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    trying to repair my transducer wire ,are they26 or 30 gauge?And is there anything i should know about splicing it?

2. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    Robert, I don't know what size the wire is but i'v cut and spliced just about every one i've owned. I've even wired them into an A-B switch so I could run a rear and a front transducer. Just solder the wires back together and tape them. I usually use the liquid tape first and then wrap with black tape. Needless to say I'm gonna get a bunch of flack for posting this.. Oh Well!!
    I do what I do.

3. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Yep, they can be repaired but don't change the length of the cable if you can help it. They are cut to a certain length for best performance and accuracy.

4. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    Carl,
    Now why would you get flack for that? I think it's a good idea!!
    Good to see you back on the board posting. Sign up for K6 yet?

5. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    Thanks Mike- Jerry you are right about the length being calculated for best performance but in the shallow water i fish in I doubt if i hurt it much. I use the front mounted transducer more than i use the back one once i get to fishing spots. As to the A-B switch it is a radio shack switch used years ago for switching from one TV to another. now Mike as to K6, haven't decided yet, trying to get answer as to if we can get the grandson for a week. I think you know how that goes...
    See ya somewhere!
    Stubby

6. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Robert,

I cut and spliced one about 4 years ago, no problem.
    I soldered the wires, also connected the shielding around the splice, then taped real good.
    I'm not sure the size of wire for that didn't matter to me for I used the same cable.

7. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I had the same need and another one too , here is how I approched them both.

Radio shack and other places sell cable ends for just about anything ya can imagine.
    I selected an RCA ( common plug and cable you use in the back of the tunner or VCR..) we have all seen them. I Soldered a Male end on one end of where I selected to cut the lead in two. and the other gender on the other end.. Like Male- Female thing.. sorry that got wordy..

Ok that allows me to just plug them back together when stock length is just right.. when I need a longer deal , RCA extentions can be bought or made in the same fashion.. . I drag my unit boat to boat , mine to rentals , in the fishing boat, out when it converts to Duck boat.
    I have found this to work out really well and has caused No problems at all.

Thought maybe someone else might like this fix.