Spleen or tongue as catfish bait

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by pk_powell, Jun 16, 2007.

1. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    They told me go to your local butcher shop and get one.I did and this was their response! One eyebrow goes to the hairline,a stare,a swallow and then"we don't bring that in it stays with the gutpile however,we do have some tongue" Does tongue work as well as spleen. I know in humans the spleen is highly vascular leading one to possibly bleed to death if injured.I presume it is the same with Animals but reckon a person qualifyed in Vet Medicine would be able to answer that.My point being I presume it's a very bloody organ hense drawing cats.I never heard of using tongues for catfishing but what does everyone else think?:confused2:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Beef tongue is best served after cooked, on rye bread with russian dressing. LOL!

3. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    have to agree with katfshn50. It taste great fried is my prefrance. May work as bait but not for sure at all on that.

4. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Beef tongue, dash of black pepper, on a fresh Kaiser roll with horseradish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yum yum

Don't eat spleen. Never thought about it for bait. Why not?

Dennis

5. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    :big_smile:I have been told by BOC Brother Redd and a Sales Agent at Cabela's that Spleen is fantastic for catbait. It's tough as shoe leather just won't come off the hook just wish I could get ahold of one!Guess come deer season I'll have to try to get a spleen from a deer!:big_smile:

6. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    You might explain your request to a small local butcher and have him save them for you... while you're at it, have him tell you when he kills so that you can provide him with a bucket and lid for beef or chicken blood.

7. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Custom butcher shops that that do custom kill should be able to get it for you.

8. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Sorry that didn't work out for ya, PK. But I can't see why a deer spleen wouldn't work either. I've never used tongue myself, but if you do, let us know your results. Anyway, the place I go to get mine only does custom butchering, and have many requests for spleen. (Most people only know it as beef melt, though.) Anyway, I'm sure if you do get some, you'll be happy with the results. Good luck findin' a place, PK. Aswell as the fishin'.

-Red

9. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Haven't used spleen for ages, but when I was a kid there was an old guy that fished all the time in our local creeks and rivers. He swore by beef spleen, at least until the leopard frogs came out. He caught one heck of a lot of catfish on it too. BTW, I just picked up this months issue of FFG, and there is a small article on spleen for bait in it, if you are interested.

10. Bullseye017

Bullseye017 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I get my spleen from a local butcher. It works as great bait, but when I get it it has white skin stuff on it that needs to be cut off or the cats dont want anything to do with it, so if you find some make sure you cut the white stuff off.

11. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Great... Now they'll be dozens of catfisherman lurking around every tragic accident scene. lol