Splashing sound?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by lookinfurabiggun, Sep 13, 2005.

1. lookinfurabiggun

lookinfurabiggun New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have been going out to the Mississippi in Tn and the side I'm on there are rock and the other side is a big sand bar. The past few times out we have been hearing monsterous splashing sounds coming from the sand bank. At first I thought it was sand collapsing, but a guy told me it was fish coming up on the band and rolling in the sand to get leaches off of them and clean their coat. Has anyone heard of this? Is it true?

2. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    Never heard of that. The splashing around here is the dang beavers.

3. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    I cant say that I've heard of that either. Any leeches in the river up here usually end up in the stomach of some sort of fish.

4. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    I don't know. I have heard carp rolling a lot on top of the water and in the shallows, but I don't know if I've ever heard of cats doing it. Good Luck Fishin!!

5. zebcohobo202

zebcohobo202 New Member

I don't think I've ever caught a fish that had a leech attached to it. I have heard those monster splashes you speak of and thought they were carp. In the river I fish the local DNR stocks trout fingerlings every year. Every year around late summer early fall the striped bass figure out there's an abundance of finger food and gorge themselves on tasty little trout. A school of striper feeding on trout can cause quite a racket and put on quite a show.

6. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Up here in MI when I hear that, that tells me the flatheads are feeding shallow. That telltale "sploosh" is the vortices created by the tail of the fish, making a tornado in the water to dizzy a baitfish and then gulping the whole tornado in, letting the water thru the gills and eating the goodies inside.

Thats one thing I listen for when I get out there- to know if the flatties are near.

Is that odd? Its been my opinion all along and when I hear that I know one will bite that night, or be close by.

Its a different sound than a carpsucking noise or a fish jumping. Its a "sploosh"-ing sound is best way I can describe it. Is that what youre talking about?

Sal

7. lookinfurabiggun

lookinfurabiggun New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yes it is a splooshing sound, but it is almost constant, sounds like I need to get over to that sandbar.

8. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    put a big gill right on that sandbar, brother and just let it sit.

9. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    I fish the Mississippi at the confluence of theMeramec.Normally,all that noise is either big carp or gar rolling and jumping in the shallows.Of course,my dad still thinks it's the big cats laughing at us:haha:!The way we fish,he may be right!Ha,Ha.Anyway,it's nothing to worry about,as it doesn't seem to affect the fishing.

10. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    When I hear something like that it is usualy a big fish, or bait fish being spooked.

11. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Water got so low i heard folks talkin bout catchin fish that had dawg ticks:smile2:. Never seen any leeches though.:wink:

12. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    I agree with Sal Jr its the flathead pushing bait to the banks seems like on the nights it's happening more frequent has been some of the most productive for me

13. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have seen schools of large stripers do this in tennessee. They sounded as though someone was throwing concrete blocks into the water. They were everywhere probably 100's of them from the looks of it. There is also a sound that can be made from there tails as well as some other large species that sound like a suction in the water...like the sound the bathtub makes as it is draining out. It is caused by the swoosh of there tail and creates kinda like a vortex or whirlpool which can last for quite a long time.:crazy:

14. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    ive heard it before didnt know what it was !!!

15. JOEcatter

JOEcatter New Member

State:
    davenport iowa
    ive heard the same thing when out fishing, glad to hear a couple things it could be, guess ill just have to cast over that direction next time and see what happens

16. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have heard that before . I would say it's a beaver or a fish rolling.

17. noodlin Will

noodlin Will New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I would say when you get over to the sand bank you will find it is the sand collapsing off into the water. For it to be constant I can't see it being fish splashing sorry to be "DEBBY DOWNER" but thats my 2 cents.

18. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    that could be many different things. More often than not it is the mighty beaver! Around here I have also found it to be large flattys on the hunt in shallow water, maybe stick a bait over there?/??

19. LadyTurkeyHunter

LadyTurkeyHunter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yes sir... get over to that sandbar... Catfish will work the shallow waters along a sand bar for a meal, they make the splash when they run up on their feast... a cat will over power his meal and make a fast jerk and head back for deeper water. I have seen it many many times... Good luck... let us know what kind of monsters are feeding in those shallows.

20. LadyTurkeyHunter

LadyTurkeyHunter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've never seen a leech on a catfish that comes from a river. Leeches tend to stick to stagnet water rather than moving water. I have seen a small snail attached to a cat though.