Splash, Former World Record Blue - Age Determined

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by GaryF, Nov 21, 2007.

1. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    They determined that Splash, the 121.5lb former world record blue cat, was approximately 23 years old when caught.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedia/releases/?req=20071112c

"ATHENS, Texas—Scientists at Texas Parks and Wildlife Department’s Heart of the Hill Fisheries Science Center near Kerrville have determined that Splash, the former world record blue catfish caught from Lake Texoma in 2004, was at least 23 years old when she died in December 2005."

Stories like this are one reason I practice catch and release. It's a very rare fish that can evade capture for 20+ years this day in age and grow to it's maximum potential.

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I wonder how many times it was almost caught before it did get caught.

3. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    WOW, she was old!

4. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Gary, are catfish years like dog years? :confused2:

5. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    They are also tracking a "few" bigger one's that they have tagged with a homing device to study there migration patterns on the lake. One of them is over 95lbs....There are still some big ones there my friend caught one this year there that weighed 97lbs and was released with game and fish present with no harm done..There may be another U.S record hanging out on the lake.

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Jack, It's calendar years.. Since people live maybe 3 times longer than catfish, I guess you could say that Splash was about 69 in catfish years. :0010:

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    If they do catch another record out of Texhoma, it will be from the south side of the lake. Oklahoma don't have fish that big, and in Texas, everything is bigger. LOL

8. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    I thought he would have been older, Thx for sharing the story with us.

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    If it is caught in Oklahoma it will probably be a Texas fish that was just visiting the north side of the lake.

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks for the info! All the more reasons to practice CPR on the bigguns!:wink::big_smile:

11. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas
    Thanks for the info. As for the all the more reason to CPR I am not sure I can a agree with that. Remember Splash died of an infection, which they believe stated at the hook site so she would have died if she was released just like she did in Athens. They reported that her whole jaw was missing from being desolved by the infection.

Not trying to start a CPR debate just passing on more information.

12. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Yeah but who's to say that being in the aquarium did not help the infection along? Have you ever gone and seen an aquarium with big fish in it or any fish for that matter. Ever notice how sick every fish in it looks? Black spots on them, all beat up from the glass, malnutrition looking. I don't think I have ever been to an aquarium where the fish looked 100% healthy. Plus No matter how good of filtration system it has I'm sure it's not as good as mother natures.

13. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas

The only problem with that is the Aquarium she was in was not like Bass Pro Shops. This is was the state fish hatchery where every fish is looked after better than any zoo or bass pro aquarium would ever be. I assure you that you will not see any fish in the Athens Aquarium that looks like it is sick or with any kind of spots on it.

like I stated I am not here to depate CPR just to pass on information that some may not know about.

14. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    We will never know if Splash would have survived longer if released. But we do know is that a fish that is killed will have zero chance to grow into a bigger fish.

15. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thanks for the info Gary. You got a good point bro. CPR is definitely an important part of what we enjoy so much in catfishing.

16. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Gary for that Info.Very interesting.

17. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    could there be something in the water such as plankton or some sort of nitrates or things that may help a fish heal that you dont have in tanks because alot of fish get released and you also catch fish with some big scars on them that have healed up.