Splash Died (world record blue catfish)

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by HARVRAD2003, Apr 5, 2006.

1. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Justs saw that SPLASH the 121 lb. catfish caught at Lake Texoma in TX. died in DEC of last year. It sure is sad that the last 2 record cats were caught and not released so they could live----I'm sure it takes close to 100 yrs for a cat to hit 100 or so lbs. I know it's nice to keep a fish that size so others can view it but the opportunity for this fish to reproduce like it has been over the many many years has now vanished.

2. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I agree let them go so they can keep reproducing.

3. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Catch and release is the way to go, especially so they can get bigger and reproduce. But I couldn't imagine splash or the other world record get any bigger. They were already almost the size of a Ford F250 SD Lariat with a Crew Cab, 4x4 with clearance light and a desial engine. Can't forget the 8ft. bed and the chrome grille (Oh yes!). :)

4. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    :0a14: i know nothing about this topic:)

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My grandpaw used to be a welder for the Army Corp of Engineers on ___#1______ River in __#2______. He went downt o fish a dam once then came back up & said he would never go abck down again because there were catfish as big as a ___#3____.

#1 = Your favorite River
    #2 = Your Favorite State
    #3 = Your Favorite Automobile :) :) :) :) :)

Yes it was a shame that Splash died, but ya know all this talk about reproducing is making me sort of excited. ;)

(Reproducing Catfish you freaks! I am excited to think that I could catch Spalsh Jr. Get your minds of out the gutters!) ;)

6. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Haha, nice. Good joke, good joke.

But I have to agree. It actually takes roughly, I think they said, 25 years for a fish to get that big, but all the same, thats older than I am, and over half of what a lot of people are. And I do have to agree. Weigh them, take a picture, and then let them go is my philosophy. Plus big old cats like that have a lot of similarities between senior citizens. They are old, and dont work as well as they used to (sorry to any senior citizens) and things can go wrong pretty easy. So just think that when you are holding a cat that size, its like holding an 80 year old underwater. Not very nice at all.

7. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Splash may have died but I'm going after Splash Jr. at Texoma this weekend but if I do, you can gaurantee that I will get pics and turn it loose.

I practice catch and release and I wouldn't have it any other way.

wish us luck at our Texoma family gathering this weekend.
    We will post pics of any catches when we get back.

AL

8. Bait Eater

Bait Eater New Member

State:
    southwest missouri
    Big catfish is like a good hound, you want that bloodline to be passed on. I never keep anything over 4 or 5 pounds. And if I don't need fish to eat I don't keep any.

9. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Let me ask a question: I dont know mucha bout Blue Cats, but is a fish like Splash "HEALTHY"? I know for instance a dog that is big, for instance a German Police Dog or Rott usually dont live as long as a Collie for instance. Their body breaks down faster due in part ot their weight, even people have this happen, for instance my fatt butt wont live to see 80 years old, mostly prob to due w/ weight problems, so are the rare fish like SPLASH healthy?

10. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    That's a good question Mellon, but it would seem Splash was healthy since it was obviously feeding when it was caught. I have heard someone say before that when a big fish like that is out of water and laying on some surface that it cannot support itself (all the weight) cause it has always used the water to suspend itself or support it's weight. Therefore that may be why Tim Pruitt's fish died and the 212 lb. Wels fish died, but I don't know about Splash. Maybe it died of boredom from being in that tank!

11. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I have to agree with this. If you aint goin to eat it, let it go. I look at fish tanks as bein prisons for fish. I'm not a catch and release guy but I aint goin to put one in a tank for people to look at. Thats to crule.
    Now yall don't go thinkin that I'm switchin over to the C&R side, but I do agree on this point.

12. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Come on over David, it's not so bad. ;)

13. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Talk about cruel, I ahve a 110 gallon tank outside full of Fancy tail Goldfish in the 5 to 15 inch range, not to be meant as a decoration, but rather a holding tank for Catfish Bait. My little girl loves them, too bad they are going to go "missing" soon. :) ;)

14. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    That aint' so bad Mellon.
    I have put little channels in tanks before to see how they feed and how often they stay on bottom but I have never had a 121 pounder in a tank before keeping it to show it off.

15. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

I went to the Jenks Aquarium a few months ago, and noticed the state record flathead was not in his tank. I asked an attendant about it, and he told me the following.

The state record flathead was in a special private holding tank in a non-publice area, as it was not doing well. He said that in the little over a year time frame that they had had the cat, it had NOT EATEN anything on its own. He said for awhile they were trying to feed it via a tube, but that had been removed. In its own tank now, they had lowered the temp to what it would be like in the wild, and were then going to gradually raise the temp trying to spurn the cat to feed.

It is sad that such a trophy is wasting away.

16. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Right on man
    PETA should get on them, not us...
    But they're biologists they know what's better for the fish than we do right?
    BULL@#$%!!

17. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas
    Splash was doing great in the tank the TPWD had her in. Man let me tell you that fish could put on a show. It was like she liked it. I went an seen her two times and every time she would come up to the glass and see what every one was doing.

You want to see an amazing site you should see a 121 blue cat feed! I watched her inhale a whole chicked and never miss a beat. Looked like a great white feeding.

She died when they had to move her from her tank to a smaller holding tank so that they could repair her main tank. The stress of moving her not to mention the many other factors that go into play when you move fish from one tank to another is what killed.

Anyway, believe me when I say that Splash was loved and I mean loved. Everyday kids would bring letters and drawing of the fish to give to her not to mention the number of people that came and seen her.

She will be missed.

18. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    It's just a theory of mine, but I believe splash was kind of young for it's size.
    Splash was longer and thinner than most blues of that size. If you saw pics and compared, You could see that splash and the 124lb blue caught last year looked TOTALLY different. In one pic, 2 people are holding splash and the head and tail stick out past these guys shoulders. As for the 124lber caught last year, one guy held it with it's head and still a good bit past the guys shoulders, but you could still see it was a good bit shrter than spalsh. Now the belly of the 124lber was A LOT bigger than splash's however.

As recent studies show, it is possible for a Blue Cat to get around 100lbs in about 10yrs. (92lb state record for I think NC was only 11yrs old.)
    So in turn, I don't think splash was even close to full potential. I'd be willing to bet it could've easily gained 20lbs.

19. pescador

pescador New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yeah splash was a big blue and i think it was sad that he died and i hope that in the future maybe they will remember what happend to splash and release the next big one as soon as possible.

20. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Agree They Should Have Let Him Go. Practice C.p.r.