spitting channel cats?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Swampfox., Jun 18, 2009.

1. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    ok heres the deal. my father in law takes the boys down the road to crew lake for some blue gills. crew lake is accually an old bayou that is now basically a long lake, i can throw a rock to the other side. there is no current. its mostly run off. well i get down to where they are and i notice lots of activity on the surface. when i get down to the waters edge i could see that it was hundreds of channel cats in bunches of about a dozen or so here and there just under the surface. they were just hovering about two or three inches under the surface with just their mouth out the water. in a random sucession they would spurt out a little water out like as if they were spitting. at this point i am just baffled to see so many fish at the surface that i jump back in my truck and went back for my camera. when i get back{5min} they were still doing it.[i got some photos and will post them when i figure how to do so] alright so im thinkin whats up with the fish, ive never seen this before. so are the Oxygen levels low or what. remember this is basically a narrow lake that streches a few miles there is no connection to flowing waters. to me at times the pollen sits on the suface so long the water looks stagnet, then we geta rain and bam looks healthy again. lots of fish though . could there be to many fish in an area once open to other waterways but now cut off? please tell me someone has seen this before. pictures to come. give me time to figure out how to get them up on posts.

2. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    The only thing I can think of is that the oxygen level is low, or they have been watching the carp too long! LOL!

3. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I cant say I ve ever seen that before Im curious to see if some knows why, and would like to see the picks. maybe they were eating some kind of plankton or something .

4. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    heres an attempt to upload, sorry about the quality my camera will zoom so far.........didnt work

5. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'd think oxygen too- but then why would they school up like that? a larvae hatch of some kind? Hmmm. hurry up and post them pics lol!

6. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
  7. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    another attempt. let me regroup guys i'll getum up

8. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    At the Tx state fishery (as shown in my profile pic) The is a spot where you can feed the big cats. I had a few of them spit all over me, I'd never seen any thing like it.

9. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    I real doubt that it's a lack of oxgen ..If taht was the case you'd think they'd just come up for a gulp of air like carp do in low oxgen lake's? Probaly you just got a bunch of redneck channel cat's that like chewing tobbaco:smile2:

10. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    heres one more attempt before i slamm this laptop to the floor

Attached Files:

11. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    alright ive clammed down. man i was close to freakin out with this resizing crap. bro i am so retarded when it comes to the computer stuff. now that i managed to get one up i'll work on the others. sorry about the shots, stills do it no justice. wish i had a video of it. all i seem to capture were the ripples. also the glare was bad, it was hard to get a top angle to the water with the sun where it was. youll see in the other pics that i was moving in elelvation and perspective to get the best shots but like i said video would have been best.

12. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    MAN THAT IS HARD TO SAY WHATS GOING ON THERE.I WOULD THINK OXIGEN LEVEL ALSO BUT NOT FOR SURE.SEEMS TO ME IF THE OXIGEN LEVELS WERE BAD ENOUGH WHERE THEY ARE GULPING FOR AIR THERE WOULD BE ALOT OF DEAD ONES SOON.MIGHT BE SOME WEIRD FEEDING THING WHO KNOWS.

13. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It could be the area is oxygen depleted..With the summer here now that'll tend to happen in small bodies of water like that..It's also mosquito season and they also could be gorging themselves on mosquito larvae..I believe more so that its the oxygen level though..I've seen this behavior before a pond turns over..If you notice in the next couple of days that theres been a fish kill then thats what it was..

14. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Resized for Matt

Attached Files:

15. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks Dad for getting those up for me. sorry for the poor shots guys.

16. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    I've seen this once before at a pay pond just a few weeks before a big fish kill, something else I was noticing was a "croaking" sound, The sound is actually what clued me in to their location, I thought it was bullfrogs, I followed the sound to the banks, shined my flashlight down and there was this huge gathering of channel cats, all spitting and making "croaking" sounds.

17. larry again

larry again Active Member

State:
    missouri
    sounds like you a algee bloom , try to catch one and check it's gills . if that's what it is the gills will be covered with slime not good.

18. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If I play around with it in a photo prog. I can see what your talking about.