Spiral Rods?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by neocats, Feb 2, 2007.

1. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Has anyone every used a spiral rod? What is it? It's a casting rod where the eyelets start out in the normal position and then spiral the length of the rod until they are on the bottom side at the rod tip. I would like some info on this design.

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Not only used but built several, one which I still have.

it doesnt just spiral. They first couple of eyes are critical in placement and their axis.
    You'll lose about 10% casting distance overall but the modern purpose of the design is to be able to take advantage of the advantages of spinning rods while taking advantage of the advantages of baitcasting reels.
    Its not a new invention. It was invented in Europe over 100 years ago.
    Some rod building fella in Tennessee tried to lay claim to it 15 years ago or so while marketing some of them. His patent application was quickly file 13.

Dale Clemmons (Advanced Custom Rod Building) covers the rod in its pages and even gives the layout for the first two eyes. I built all the ones I built off those pages. The last one and the one I kept has sterling silver thread and real gold impregnated thread. The eye wraps are 3 colors, Candy apple red, silver, and gold, The diamond buttwrap is the same three colors.
    The eyes and hook keeper are gold Fuji Hardaloy. The real seat is machined from solid oak. In front of the trigger its machined so that your index finger is in direct contact with the graphite blank.

Its a lightweight rod for a lightweight reel. For crappie and bream.
    I lost a nice catfish on it the one and only time its been fished with. It just doesnt have enough backbone to handle cats in the 20 pound range.
    Eaters would be fun on it.

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Thanks Mark. You could have built it with a blank for catfishing I presume. I heard that you get about 30' more casting distance.