Spinnng reel recommendations

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by wylie catter, Aug 2, 2007.

1. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm looking for a high quality spinning reel with the drag adjuster on the back. Something that can handle 30 lb mono easily, and holds more than 100 yards of it. I have several Mitchell's from the 300 series and have been very pleased with them, but there too small. I've spent a good bit of time on the enter net looking but haven't found it yet. I know someone can point me in the right direction. I'm not prejudice of brands. I just want high quality.

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    The Shimano 6500BTR Baitrunner is with u need it holds 30lb test line.

3. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Well, if you want quality -- I'd go with Penn. My 850SS absolutely lobs bait a country mile, and that's with 65# Power Pro...and if it breaks or wears down, I've got a load of spare parts for repair.

Then again, the Penns don't have a rear-mounted drag adjustment knob. I also enjoy a rear drag on my ultralight reels -- but for cattin' I don't find it as necessary.

4. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I'm not sure if they make rear drag models that large. Usually the drag isnt as strong as front drag models. Smaller washers thats the price you pay for the convenience and ease. If you want a quality one may I suggest the Symetre 4000. This of course if you battling channels or anything around or under the 20lb mark. Just my two cents.:wink:

5. JamisonM

JamisonM New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'll second the shimano 6500 baitrunner. I got one with an entire 300yd. spool of 50lbs. power pro.

6. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    The Basspro shop has a good model. It's Offshore angler openface. It holds over 200 of 30lb. I've had one for several years and have no complaints. Thier about $50-60.00. Okiuma also has some nice reels. Another choice is a Tidewater openface by Shaksphere. I like that reel alot. Not bad for $35.00.

7. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Shimano has some rear drag reels, but they are on the light side. If you can find a use Quantam QMD70 that is one excellent rear drag reel that will will 20# mono.

8. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Okuma CD-90 worth the money.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I agree whole heartedly.Great heavy saltwater reel also.I do not know of any heavy rear drag spinning reels.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

10. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brother Terry;
    If you want a "Rear Drag" Spinning Reel look into the Shimano line. I think it's called the "Baitrunner" or something like that. There are not too many Rear Drag Spinning Reels around with the capacities your wanting because of the physics and metallurgy involved. Although, with the newer "Hi-Tech" lines you can use a much smaller diameter for the poundage you want and that may help you out too but you would have to do the research on it yourself. Try looking at the Shimano Thunnus TU-16000F model if your willing to try this route. :)
    For Front Drags, I have an older model Penn 9500SS that I have used for years with no problems and it will hold 300/330 yards of 30# Mono. However, I am not sanguine about the new 950SS's that Penn changed over too. It's a personal preference thing and I've not heard anything bad about the performance of the newer ones.
    This past Holiday Season my wife; Raven, bought me a Fin-Nor OS 9500 that I just dearly L-O-V-E to use and I LOVE My Raven for buying it AND the 1500 yard spool of Power Pro line too!!:smile2: With the new braid lines I can load up 600 YARDS of 100# test line on a spool!:wink: Both of these reels are less than $200 USD/U.S. Dollars.
    Next year, I am planning on trying out the Shimano Stella STL20000FA which has a manually closed bail and goes for about $700.00 USD!! But that will be when I get a custom rod made to "MY" specifications.
    Anyway, I hope this helps you out some. Since you have a computer I would "let me fingers do the walking" so to speak, and use your search engines to look at the different dealers and factories that might make a custom reel like you want.
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

11. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I ditto the Okumas. I have two that I love.

12. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I've Heard nothing but good things about the Shimano baitrunners and the Okumas.. Either should fill your need quite well.

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    From the Shimano reel site. The max drag goes as high as 17 lbs.for the front drag on the Shimano Thunnus TU1600F but the separate rear drag for the bait runner mode is only 1.8 lb.max as it is only meant to control bait,not fight a fish.The Shimano Baitrunner BTR6500B is rated 15.8 front drag and 1.2 rear drag in bait runner mode.I have the Okuma Coronado CD90's bait feeder types but I do not know the front and rear drag ratings.I envy you with the Fin-nor and the soon to be Stella.Maybe next you can step up to the $1300.00 ZeeBasS being made by the founder of the Van Staal.For that price I would want every fish "Fee-laid" when I reeled them in!I don;t know enough about rods to tell a rod builder what to make me.If I ever had the money for one I would have to trust to the knowledge of the builder.If I designed it it would probably look as weird as Johnny Cash's "one piece at a time" Cadillac.I think that I have spent a lifetime of "adapting" to the rod & reels that I had in my hand.As for "Manual Bails".All of my early spinning reels were second hand and came with "Manual Bails.That is why they were given to me.Manual open,Manual hold open and Manual close all the way.Do they make any that work any other way?The first spinning rig I ever had was given to me because the reel was froze up.I retrieved and wrapped the line on that reel like a hand reel,but I had me a spinning rig!Thank goodness the drag worked.I caught fish too.I used a leather shoe tongue with two slits so it would stay on my thumb and finger to reel line with.Ah,kids!Wish you the best.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

14. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thank you everyone for all the advice. I'm writing them down, and hopefully going to BPS tommorrow to look. Thanks again.

15. Zing

Zing New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The baitrunner is a excelent reel I have fished with one for over 20 years or so, I have never had a problem with it. I fished with it in New York for saltwater blues and I'm still using it to day. You can not go wrong with it.

16. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i have those reels and love everyone of them. starting at the top(clockwise) okuma eb-80, shimano btr6500 "A" model, okuma cd-90, shimano btr4500"B" model, and centerstage shimano thunnus12000f. all of them are great reels i have a btr6500"B" model spooled with 20lb power pro that stopped a 50+lb ray dead in its tracks last weekend. also i have a few more reels that i didn't include. if you want to know anything about any of these ask away. hope i can help.

Attached Files:

17. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    That's the next spinning reel I'm gettin...The Okuma Coronado....I've had my eye on that one for a while....Dwight

18. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Nice arsenal you have there Mark.:0a23: