spinning vs casting fishing rod?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by flaboy, Jun 2, 2009.

1. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    OK, I can understand why using a casting rod with a open face spinnin reel is not a good idea, the line off the spool is whirling round as it comes off the spool;
    BUT, why wouldn't a spinning rod work with a casting reel?:confused2:
    as a fish pulls the rod it will bend till the eye is contacting the line just like a casting rod, and when casting, the line will payout streight so that shouldn't be a problem.
    Has anyone tried it? and did it work?

Till I get my gggrand chillin's money, (stimulous check) I'm tryin to make do with the 10-15 outfits I have!
    :smile2:
    other than IT AIN"T RITE AND IT WON"T WORK, what yall think?

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I will work fine but remember the casting rods have that offset handle to facilitate placing your thumb on the spool.Spinning rods are straight so they may not be as comfortable.There may be some flex problem as the spinning rod guides are placed on the spine of the rod for a downward flex which would be reversed when using a baitcaster.Not sure that would be an issue but it might be.:big_smile:

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    you loose cating disince, becouse of the line guide size, but thats all,

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

It will work okay.My brother(the scavenger) does it all the time.You will lose casting distance though because the line can,t uncoil freely due to the smaller eye size.However,he put some leftover braid I gave him on a couple of those setups,and the distance problem isn,t there due to the limpness of the braid.You might want to try that.:big_smile:

5. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I use them also with braid and only loose a little distance but not that much.

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    ive got a baitcast reel on a spincast rod its never given me a problem.wouldnt be my first choice but for now it will do.

7. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I understand the problem abt casting a openface on a casting rod. but the backward flex of the eyes is something I had not thought of.:crazy:
    this was just a idle thought.
    thx, for replys!

8. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    That the whole idea behind a spiral/roberts wrap rod:wink:

9. Shad gut

Shad gut New Member

State:
    illinois
    For the best performance match the right rod with the right reel. I have used them both ways. But they are made different for casting performence and line control.

10. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    there you have it bro, throw on some braid, and this is not an issiue for flatheads blues you might be concernd, ps i hate the fact blues dont prowl the bank you got to buy all theese twelv foot rods and spool up 200 yards, its like learning how to fish again

11. ko3579

ko3579 New Member

State:
    Frankfort, Ky
    Ive got 2 10 ft catmax spinning rods and 2 10ft catmaxx casting rods, 6500s with 30lb mono on all 4 and to be honest I cant really tell the difference in the casting, but I havnt really paid attention either, Ive cought alot of big fish on the spinning rods and the eyes being reversed has never caused me a problem. I also have a few more 10ft spinning rods that I rarely use now. I bought these rods when spinning rods were about all you could find in the big rods. Now I will only buy casting though.

12. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I've got an 11' 2-piece spinning surf rod, and I put a 7000 Abu Garcia casting reel on it.. I wasn't casting far at all, but, I did end up putting quite a load on the rod,, (Bent double) for a long time,, ,,,, trying to get a stubborn flatcat out of some nasty cover..

and the rod held up OK.. w/ 50# Big game line..
    I'm not sure, there's a lot of time spent on lower priced rods, getting them spined correctly in the first place..
    But, The trip I'm referring to, was just pure abuse on the rod, reel and line..
    All came away to fight another day..!!:big_smile: