Spinning VS. Baitcasting

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Kowegi, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Kowegi

Kowegi New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I would like the know the pros and cons of both spinning and baitcasting reels. I know that most catfishers use baitcasters, but every type of reel has strengths and weaknesses.

Thanks

2. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Austin for cat'n i havent found any cons on baitcasters the are the only way to go for me.

3. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I feel like baitcasters will give you more power with less bulk. They can be found in lower gear ratios with less bulk than a spin caster. Plus castability. Baitcasters are dead on accurate once you learn how to use them.

4. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Austin. Although I cant seem to use one, I agree with the other guys, baitcasters are the most popular and probably the best reel. But if you are like me and cant get the baitcaster down, there are some real nice spinning reels out there that can do the job nearly as well, and that have pretty steep gear ratio's. I have Okuma Avenger av80a's, 4.8:1 ratio, big line capacity, instant anti-reverse, 7 bearings. Its a great reel, but if I could I would have some nice Abu's or Penn baitcasters. The choice is yours, depends on your ability.

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have and use both types of these reels. Depending on what I'm doing dictates which i use. Bass fishing a jig or Carolina rig, i use a spinning reel with rear drag. Any kind of finesse fishing i use this set up. As far as crank baits or top water lures, i always use a bait caster. Generally speaking for cats, i prefer a bait caster also.

6. brewfish

brewfish New Member

State:
    fl
    I agree with CountryHart about reel selection. I still have a preference for spinning reals though. Baitcasting reels can take a bit of practice before you get them down but once you do they just as easy as spinning reels. The main gripe i have against them is when you back-lash a baitcaster be prepared to sit there for a while undoing a rats nest. It's almost impossible to achieve that level of rats nest with a spinning real unless you are just plain gifted. :smile2:

I've hauled in monster fish with both type reels so I wouldn't say one realy beats out the other. Just make sure you have the right gear ratio for the job at hand and that reel has a good drag system. It's been my experience that the spinning reels with the drag mounted on the top of the reel tend to be of higher quality and perfom better under high stress situations. The only time a level wind type would be better is when you are fishing some really deep water or fishing certain types of luers, IMHO.

No really nice reel is "cheap" but it seems to me that you can buy a lower cost spinning reel and still have something that will be serviceable for years. You get a cheap level wind (baitcaster) and you will not be satisfied, is seems like the cheap ones tear up quickly and the drag systems sucks which makes casting them any distance a royal pain, at least that's been my experience.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use baitcaster, because of there size and the power they have.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    IMO, the main disadvantage of spinning reels was that with large diameter mono line, once 100 yards or so of line was off the reel, the size of the lip had increased so much that the greatly increased friction would reduce the casting distance. Using the new braided superlines on spinning reels goes a long way toward eliminating this disadvantage. For instance, I've got a couple of spinning reels loaded with 20# mono; this is starting to get heavy enough to interfere with casting. I can move up to 30# braided and have the diameter of 8# mono. This will greatly improve casting, while giving me additional line strength. I still prefer casting reels, but now that's probably more from over 50 years of using them, rather than them being much better than spinning reels loaded with braided line. One point about spinning reels: for heavy use, be sure to get a front drag system; much stronger, smoother, and more rugged than rear drag.

9. Kowegi

Kowegi New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks guys, I got a new catfish rod (Berkley Big Game Series, 7 feet long, Medium Heavy). I bought it seperate from a reel because usually when you buy a rod and reel combo, the reel sucks or vice versa. I was just wondering which reel i should get. I can't cast a baitcaster that good, mainly beause lack of practice, but im sure with some practice i can be good as i am with Spinning tackle.

10. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    If it was just me using my tackle, I'd probably have nothing but baitcasters without levelwinds.

However, any one of a half dozen of my buddies and their kids are liable to grab a rod with a fish on, rebait, and throw it out.

Get the picture? My life is much better with spinners.:roll_eyes:

11. ittybittykitty

ittybittykitty New Member

State:
    Belleville Michigan
    Welcome Austin. Your rod was designed to be used with a baitcasting or a spinning reel, not both. If the first guide is small and mounted close to the blank, buy a baitcaster. If the first guide is large and mounted out about an inch or more from the blank, buy a spinning reel. Also, if you buy a spinning reel pay attention to the recomended line size. They are actually talking about the diameter of the line. You can go smaller than the recomened size, but you will have line problems if you go larger. Also, I would recommend a metel spool rather than the plastic ones. Good Luck, and remember, catfishing isn't an activity, It's an addiction.

12. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    get you a five gallon bucket and a casting plug. Set it about 10 -20ft or so away from you and practice like that. Its really about the tension you put on your spool when it hits the water.Not enough tension and the spool will let loose on you causing backlash. Abu garcia's are pretty forgiving when it comes to that.

13. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Personaly I have one baitcaster set up for catfishing and three spinning setup for catfishing. Spinning is just easier to use and all three will cast pretty far and pretty accurate. My lure pole is a spinning setup as my smaller baitcaster was lost in the move a few months ago. Baitcast does feel like it has more power, but my biggest spinning pole an oldie but goodie shakespeare setup will power right with it.

14. Kowegi

Kowegi New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    on closer inspection of my rod, (i got it only a day before) it says spinning. so im just going to take a wild guess and say its for spinning.:wink:

15. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    bait casters the way to go for me !

16. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Well, then, take a look at the Daiwa Exceller 4000 for that rod. It's a large freshwater sized reel (13.2oz) that holds lots of line...260 yards of 12# test, or 150 of 65# Power Pro.

I like mine very much.

17. Lawdawg

Lawdawg New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I use both , depending on what I am fishing for and where I am at. I can cast both setups a long way. However if I am fishing an area where I have to turn a fish and get him away from cover immediately, I want my level winds. As far as learning to cast them, it's fairly easy if you set them up right. There is a knob on the real that is not the drag, called the magnetic spool. This knos is used to adjust the speed that your spool spins allowing line to come off the reel. The easiest way to learn to cast a level wind is to set the magnetic spool just a little tight and throw the pee out of it. What is "set right" for your magnetic spool? Ideally you want 7 to 10 inches of drop in your line before it stops. How you achieve this is you reel your sinker to the rod tip, disengauge your reel and shake the tip 1 time and your sinker should travel 7 to 10 inches before coming to a stop. If it travels more than that, you need to tighten the magnetic spool and vise versa. Therefore the size of your weight comes in to play. You need to change your magnetic spool every time you change weighht sizes. Once you get the hang of throwing a level wind, you don't have to use the magnetic spool anymore because you learn to control it with your thumb, if you want.

18. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Austin ( and Brewfish)Joe)

Yeah I use both styles also.. For power I perfer Baitcasters but I do have a few Baitrunners ( Spincast ) That have some power to them also.. But if I had to choose just 1 it would be Baitcasters...

19. Kowegi

Kowegi New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    i always hated spincasters, Its like evertime i use one (i forgot my good fishing rod and have to borrow a spincaster), they say your not skilled enough to use anything better. but they can bequite useful when your on abudget.

20. Littlecat92

Littlecat92 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i like using baitcasters i think they are easier to use