Spinning vs. bait casting reels - Casting distance?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by neocats, Feb 4, 2007.

1. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Wasn't sure where to post this. Question: on a similar rod, which reel will cast farther? A spinning reel or a bait casting reel. Using same line and same weights.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    good topic Jeff never thought about it I would thing a spinning reel because of less friction on the spool but never tried it I may just have ti go out in the yard an check it on my 7 foot tigersi have one wth spin an one wth a shakespere b/c

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Reload,
    Check an see what you come up with. Be fair and give both reels the same effort. Let us know your results.

4. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Overall the best casting reel is the conventional or multiplier reel.

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I'm lost. What do you mean by a multiplier reel or conventional?

6. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    ive always been told that spinning reels cast farther. not sure tho. i kno alot of surf fishers use spinning gear but i have also seen alot with baitcasting to so im not positive.

7. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    there are alot of variables, line weight, tension, guides, sinker size, rod length and stiffness. I would say for really light lures less than 3/8 oz a spinning rod would do better, above that it anybodys game. I give the edge to the conventional reel for control, reduced line twist, better drags, and better rods. It is probably pretty tough to find a spinning rod that is long, stiff, light and doesnt have a huge diam handle. I only use spinning reels for little stuff.
    Not all convention reels are equil either, my shimano's and quantums cast batter and with fewer backlashes than my abu's. I bought a shimano calcutta rod a few years back cl820xfa i think for throwing 9" trout lures(4-6oz). It would be tough to find a quality, light, trigger and small diam grip spinning equilivant. I moved up to throwing 12" trout lures which weight over a pound, if I tried that with a spinning reel my fingers would be mush after an hour of casting much less all day. Line slap from heavy line on spinning reels is not fun. A high quality conventional reel and practice in bass fishing will make you a better fisherman, hands down. I recall seeing an article about a sturgeon fisherman that built a huge sling shot out of the back of his pickup truck so he could launch huge weights at great distance and speed that would probably backlash and send a hole conventional pole over the side. It depends on how you fish and use your equipment.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use baitcasters but my bet is on the spinning reel.:roll_eyes: :big_smile:

9. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    baitcast reels are called multipliers very commonly in England and europe.

Baitcast reels throw further than spinning reels and it's due to the line slap on the guides and air turbulance when the line is coming off the reel's spool sideways. in casting competitions baitcast reels (multipliers) are the dominant reels and the spinning reel guys compete in the same class most of the time ... they don't have a special class for spinning reels but there are competition casters that won't switch over to the longer casting baitcast reels. the national record for spinning reels was 745 ft I think and the national record for baitcast is 821 ft and most people can't break the 600 ft barrier with spinning gear. competition casters using baitcasters and then switching to spinning reels will lose anywhere from an average of about 15% distance when they switch over to spinning reels and rods.

the competiton casting baitcasters can be very highly tuned and it takes experience to be able to get all you can get out of a reel. the most dominant baitcast reel for years was the Abu UltraMag III reels which have a spool about the same size as a 6500 and they use line that's just a tiny bit smaller than 12 lb test line in most casting competitions at .31mm I think most standard mono 12 lb test lines are .33mm ... when a person gets the abu ultramag III the first thing they do it take the levelwind off and any unneccessary items on the reel and then they put a conversion bar in to replace the levelwind and make the frame more sturdy. the frame gets some torque put on them when the caster really has to hang onto the spool in competition casting ... the G-Force is pretty daunting and impossible to hold for me without the use of a rubber coated glove. the magnetics in these reels are on a bandalier I guess you'd call it or a plastic disc with holes in it and a screw thread adjustment and you have to use a dremel tool to take off some excess plastic around the area on it so that when you back the magnets off, they get completely away from the spool ... this is how they control the reels ... they'll have maybe 4 of the magnets left in the reel and take out the rest because you don't want to have so much control that it's too great on the initial part of the cast ... you want to have just enough control that it might fluff just a tiny bit but that's all ... any more than just a little fluff will cause some probems. then when you cast you start backing the magnets away from the spool to reduce the strength of the current eddy caused by the magnets in close proximity to the turning spool ... the closer to the spool that they are and the faster the spool is turning the stronger the current eddy would be and it's like an electromagnetic force that's created but not like the magnets are causing a draw towards the mags because of the polarity or how steal is pulled towards a magnet ... the spools are aluminum so there's no magnetic pull there at all. reels have to have a knob glued onto the original stock knob so that it's sticking out a lot further and you're able to adjust it as quickly and smoothly as you can so that's why you need the extended knob ... a lot of people use a standard wire nut like they twist electrical wires together with when wiring up a light socket in your home.

Penn came out several years ago with the help of Niel MacKellow and designed a production model casting reel for competition casting and also for surf fishing which is the Penn525 Mag-T or T-Mag and it's spool is just a little bit larger than the 6500. www.hatterasoutfitters.com carries these I think ... they're a high end non-levelwind reel that'll cast a mile, per near, right out of the box. there's not a lot of tuning required with these reels but it's possible to make them better ... an important point though is the rod ... the rod is the first thing to consider when casting for distance ... if you put a highly tuned diamond of a reel on a $30 Shakespeare rod then the reel isn't going to help you very much. the most important part of casting is to get a good rod with some serious backbone ... the tuned reel compared to a stock 7000c3 is very minimal change to me ... probably 50 ft at the most as I casted my stock 7000c3's with a levelwind to 750 ft consistantly ... 780 to 800 with the tuned reels ... the difference between rods was a lot more drastic ... when using fenwick 16810 rods that were 14 ft long I could get right at 590 ft using a penn 9500 ss spinning reel with 6 oz and bait. when I switched to the lamiglas baitcaster rods I casted 625 to 630 ft with regularity. when I switched to the breakaway rods using the same 7000c3 my distance increased well over 100ft to 725 to 750. these distances was with minimal wind ... when you get a good tail wind you can cast a lot further sometimes .. then putting the tuned abu ultramag reel on the rod I could cast between 760 to 780 with no wind. a full 150+ feet better than the spinning rig

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    OK every one I took both rods out and cast each three times each and got an average distance for each the only difference being the casting rod had 20# line and the spinning rod had 17 # not exact but close enough for me . with a 1 1/2 oz egg sinker the ave. for the baitcaster was 47 yards the average for the spinning rod was 46 yards to me a negligible difference also try as I may i cast each slightly different I think because of the way i hold the line while casting but I think its a fair comparison . Whos next?

11. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Thanks Tiny for the info. I do not dispute it at all. But with my setup, I can cast 150 yds. and wish I had more line.

12. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Keep in mind that the long cast competitions do not use bait. I can put bait out at 150 yds. with my set-up.

13. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    It would be real interesting to attend one of these tournaments, just to watch and learn.

How would I find one?

14. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    My neighbor Jim & I used to have these little casting compititions just for fun, In my experience, the spinning rods take it especially the longer ones like 11.5 footers (Salmon set ups) I can cast a country mile with a flyrod though... but I prefer a spinning set up for distance. I'll have to "take the challenge" and see! Very cool topic.
    how long/far do you suppose a typical cast is? Just curious.

15. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Average casting distance differers greatly, depending on the fisherman, rod, reel, weight cast, and line size. For most of us, what is more important than distance is accuracy of the cast. Distance becomes more important for bank, tail race, and surf fishermen. With my abu 6500c3, 20 lb test, and an ounce of weight, my average will be about 120-150 ft, more if I back off on the cast control and depend only on my thumb. That's a stock out of the box 6500c3. With my Penn Captiva 4000 on a 7ft rod, 14 lb test, and and 1 ounce, I cast about 115 yards on the average. But, except when casting into the wind, I have better control and accuracy with the 6500c3.

16. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    In general baitcasters usually cast farther than spinners.

However:

It all depends on the person using them too. I've done quite a bit of fishing in some tailraces where casting distance is very important. Almost everyone there will tell you that there is no way that a spinning reel can cast out as far as they do with their baitcasters.
    Late one night an old feller showed up and I was the only witness as he put them all to shame with a spinning reel. Unlike the rest of the people there he had spent the money and the time to get the most out of his gear and develop the skill to use that gear properly.

With the skills I have right now, it all depends on what size tackle I am using. My baitcasting skills are really rusty, but in medium tackle I do best with a baitcaster. With anything else i do better with a spinning reel.

17. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    A baitcaster will how cast a spinning reel anyday with the right weight and rod.

18. Ole Jim

Ole Jim New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    years of casting. Clearly the spinning reel provides the most distance in casting over that of any baitcasting reel. It's all a matter of friction.

19. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i have been tournament casting for 11 years now and here's what i've observed. baitcaters reels can out spinning reels on any give day, however i have seen days when i have finished in 2nd,3rd,or 5th place and the distances were as little as 3-8 feet. does that mean spinning reels are inferior? no most american designed spinning reels are suited for either boat fishing or casting light weights on light lines. there are a few exceptions for example diawa and shimano have been known to introduce "americanized" models of their european models. now over the last few years the great equlizer for spinning reels has been the introduction of braid now if i could cast say 100 yds with say 20lb mono and i switch to 20lb braid i can expect an increase of roughly 50% and this is where spinning reels shine. adding braid to baitcasters doesn't increase the casting distance as much because the line is thrown off the reel the same way with either line.

neocats, i have casted in tournaments where threw simulated baits and i hit 680ft. i also hold the national record for casting an 8oz sinker and a 6in sassy shad a distance of 511ft. both of these were achieved using a spinning reel, 17lb test mono, and off the shelff fishing gear.

now i have to agree with tiny on rods a good reel is great but a good reel on great rod is even better.we both saw big increases in distance when we switched to breakaway rods i picked 300ft in 5 years. i am the only caster in master class (725ft avg) that uses a spinning reel and i hold my own. unlike most competitors i don't use rods that are for tournament casting only.

20. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    You can give the pros and cons of each type of reel but if you dont have the proper rod with the correct size and placements of eyelets you will never achive max distance for either reel. I have used spinning gear all my life and I can easily outcast myself using my spinning gear than with my baitcasting set up. But thats just what I am used too. Either way I get all the distance I need out of both my rigs.

Casting competions are fine and dandy but its not tossing a 4oz weight and a 5oz or larger LIVE bait without the bait the bait flying off.