spinning rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by bw69r, Apr 19, 2008.

1. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    what are some of the best spinning rods and rod lengths for big cats.

2. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    catfish safari make a very nice spinning rod.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Do ya bank or boat fish? :wink:

4. catman37

catman37 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i have both ugly stiks and berkley glowsticks,either one would be good for anything you could throw at em.

5. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    i am fishing from shore george.

6. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    I think what you want to budget for a rod is an important item. If money is no problen then something like a black and blue custom rod is a good way to look, lower the budget a bit and catfish safari probably next in line. If you are looking at the best bang for the buck then I second both the ugly stick and the glowstick as really good rods for the money.

I definately will not say that a glow stick is in the same class as a black and blue rod but I can buy 4 glowsticks for the price of 1 custom rod. I take care of my equipment and do not throw it around and have been pleased with the less expensive rods. I do not earn my living fishing and the less expensive equipment has done everything I have ask it to do.

Fishing is like anything else, take the bass boys for instance, you do not need a 50,0000 dollar boat and 450.00 reels to catch bass! Spend what makes you feel good but you do NOT HAVE TO spend 250.00-300.00 or more on a rod and reel to catch nice fish.

7. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Brian;
    I like the Shakespeare Big Water 8', Hvy Action, 2-pc while my wife likes the Same Big Water but in 10' length, Med-Hvy Action, 2-pc.
    I might also mention that I have the 15' Big Water Rod too and am planning on getting the 12' Big Water Rod.
    I consider the Shakespeare Ugly Stick Big Water Rods to be among the "Best Bang for the Buck" rods out there on the market. I really don't think you could go wrong starting out with one.
    I use Spinning Rods and Reels exclusively and have yet to be disappointed or run into a "Blue" big enough to cause me to wish I had a Bait Caster setup. Currently I am using a Fin-Nor OFS 95 that I am very happy with and dearly love to use. But, as I said, that is my personal choices. In the end, you must make your own decisions but you could do a lot worse than start out with a Shakespeare Ugly Stick Big Water 8', Hvy Action, 2pc rod. It will handle up to 12 oz that I know of for sure.
    Hope this helps.
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

8. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I AGREE WITH "COYOTE 1 " ABOUT THE SHAKESPEAR ULGY STICKS BUT I LIKE THE UGLY STICK CAT STIK 8' MH I'VE LANDED SO 35/40lber's WITH THEM:smile2: BUT REMEMBER IT SI YOUR CHOICE AND IF YOU HAVE A FRIEND THAT HAS SOMETHING THAT YOU MIGHT LIKE ,ASK THEM TO LET YOU TRY IT OUT, ALSO YOU CAN ALWAYS BUY IT AT WALMART AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE JUST TAKE IT BACK

9. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    i would ljke to thank you all for the info, i appreciate it. and thanks for the pm Ed , much appreciated.