Spinning rods question?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by CJ21, Sep 3, 2007.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am wondering could I use a casting reel on my Berkely Big Game MH 8' spinning rod, I am thinking about putting a Abu 6500C3 on it. I put my Abu 5600 on it and it feels good in my hand. I have caught to many fish on it to throw it away.

2. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    You can use a casting reel on a spinning rod or vice versa, but I'm not sure if it will effect the performance of either. Casting rods generally have smaller line guides and more of them than a spinning rod of the same size.

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I dont know how it would work out nethier.

4. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I used an old ABU Garcia baitcaster for years on a big spinning rod with no problems.

5. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    if you like the rod alot then you can take it to a rod builder and have it stripped down and smaller guides put on it. not sure of the cost, depends on number of guides and stuff.

6. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Casting reel on a spinning rod would handle small fish, OK. The reason casting rods have more guides is to keep the line in a arc, and off of the rod. Check out the difference by hooking line to a solid object, let out some line and pull. Notice that on the spinning rod with a casting reel, the line will pull to or past the rod creating an abrasion point. Which will shorten the life of the line to, dang that was a good fish and it broke my line. There is reason for casting and spinning type rods. hope this makes sense. Oh and one other thing, if it is a 2 piece spinning rod with a casting reel, they have a tendency to break at the joint. Hmm wonder how I know this.

7. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    In 60 yrs of fishing with 2 piece rods, I have never had one break in the joint.
    I have a Penn jig master on a spinning rod now it cast fine and handles fish to 50lbs .

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thanks Dale, I tought it would work.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    You can get by better putting a casting reel on a spinning rod than putting a spinning rod on a casting rod. The big bottom eye on a spinning reel is designed to funnel down the big loops of line coming off the reel. You won't be able to cast any distance with it; but if that's no problem, it won't hurt anything else. I've got an ultralight spinning reel on my 12' bream/crappie pole, but I don't really care anything about trying to get out much more than twice the length of the pole. The reel is just there for line storage.

10. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    cj just pull someu that moldy money outu your pocket and order that 6500 black cat uv been wantin and put it on a 7ft. ugly stik cat rod. happy happy:cool2:

11. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    CJ, I had waited to see what others would say before I stuck my 2 cents in for consideration. The fact is that you can use a Spinning reel for a Baitcaster rod or Vice Versa. Yet you bring about many factors that can be a problem. The rods that are made for spinning have the guide so that the line hangs on the guides. If the rod is made by a GOOD manufacturer, the Spine is set with the guides to allow an even bend under load. The actual guides are placed to support the structure of the rod. On a Baitcaster, you have the line laying on the guides and directly over the rod. The additional guides prevent the line from laying on the rod when under load. The guides as stated before on a spinning and casting rod are different to facilitate line lay on the rod. The number of guides will also slow down the line when using a spinning reel. If it is not a question of distance or fish size to contend with, you can use either at anytime. Yet for performance, you should use the corret combination. JMHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

12. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    you should not use a casting reel on a spinning rod or vice verso if you are going to go after big fish. the reason is because of the way the rod is designed to bend. it is not designed to bend backwards as well. you are more than likely going to wind up breaking it. i have done it before, but i have broken a few rods this way. be careful but good luck.

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ok thanks guys I understand now, I would be better off putting a spinning reel on it that will hold 20lb test line. I really would hate to break that rod because It was use in the wrong way.

14. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Spinning rods are spline differently than casting rods. Why not just buy a casting rod.

15. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    It will work, just not very well. Kinda like using a hacksaw to cut down a tree. Just not the right tool for the job.

Think of it this way. Its an excuse to buy another rod. I never need an excuse but sometimes its nice to have one.:wink:

16. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I guess so Rob, I dont wont another casting rod.

17. RandyH

RandyH New Member

State:
    VA
    SPINNING RODS AND CASTING ROD ARE SET UP WAY DIFFERANT.
    OK FIRST OFF THERE ROD HAS A NATURAL SPLINE FROM BEING ROLLED ON A HOT PRESS. THIS SPLINE WILL MAKE THE ROD BEND IN A CERTAIN DERECTION . WHEN YOU SET UP A SPINNING ROD THE GUIDE REEL SEAT ETC. ARE ON THE TOP OF THE SPLINE. CASTING RODS ARE ON THE BOTTOM OF THE SPLINE IF USED ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE SPLINE LIKE A SPINNING REEL ON A CASTING ROD IT WILL CREATE TORQUE AND TRY TO NATURALY SPIN AROUND TO ITS NATURAL RESTING POINT...
    LONG STORY SHORT IT DOESNT WORK VERY WELL TO DO WHAT YOUR ASKING IF YOU NEED A SPINNING ROD I CAN HELP YOU OUT THERE AS WELL
    LOL
    RANDY

18. catBob

catBob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    as one member on here said u can take it to a rod builder and get the eyes replaced i had a 11' 6 dawia that i liked and it only cost me $25dollars

19. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Just hang onto it, sounds like a great reason to get more fishing stuff.

20. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I will hang on it to it. I love it to much.