spinning rods and casting rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by slikk03, Jul 13, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well, i was wondering something, im geting a bigwate 12 uglystick,i was wondering if i should go with the spinning model or casting, the roson is, i want to swap reels on it, i know a casting model, wil cut distance on a openface reel,but what about maching a baitcaster to a spinning model, any bad effects, from that, the thing is i need distance, thats the key is distance and i thing my baitcasters are realy not as good at slinging out 50 60 yards,so wen i go to al-tone i thoght about putting my big spinning reel on it, just wonderd howe it would mach up

2. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I'm told by the Rod Reps at the tackle shop that spinning and casting rods are only designed to fish with the reel they are made for. The rods have a spine so they tell me and if you use a casting reel on a spinning rod or spinning on a casting rod the rod was not designed to be used that way. It would be using it upside down. This is what the Reps tell me, maybe just to sell more rods, but I always match the rod and reel.

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i was thinking that, but, my primary reel will be baitcasters so if a spinning model wont work right with a baitcaster ill get the casting model

4. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Jake; If your casting 8oz. or better, you need casting reel to have enough cranking power, from other posts i've read on your type of fishing I think you said up to 10oz.? Spinning reels are great for ease of casting but just dont have raw cranking power you get with casting reels. Just my experience over the years, good luck on your choice.:wink:

5. Chicago

Chicago New Member

State:
    Virginia
    The eyelets are bigger on the spinning models to accomodate the wide rotation of the reel. If you use a spinning reel on a casting rod, you will wear the first few eyelets down at an accelerated rate.

By doing the opposite (using a baitcaster with a spinning reel), you won't damage the eyelets per se, but its stupid to have such huge eyelets if you don't need the extra room for the spinning rotation.

I think that is what you are asking Slikk. Pm me if not

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Jake if I was going to put a casting reel on it...I would get a casting rod. Personally, I cant get the distance out of my Penn bait casting reels, that I need for winter time blue fishing....so I use very large spinning reels with great cranking power. A couple of my spinning reels hold 590 yards of 20# mono. Very large and powerful spinning reels. I can definetly crank them on in! I use my Penn baitcasters for flathead fishing and I dont have to make a very long cast at all. But in the winter time when I'm targeting Bluecats, I need to be able to sling my bait and sinker out over 75-100 yards to hit the main channel. I use different rods for different types of fishing.:wink:

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    ive got a bait casting reel on a spinning rod and ive never had a problem with it and ive caught some pretty good cats on it.i also find it works good when using circle hooks. Hey whatever works

8. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would get the Ugly stick in a casting model for sure. You can always find adequate 12' to 15' spinning rods for around $30.00 to put you spinning reel on. Good luck with the Ugly Stick.

9. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    The eyes on spinning rods are also typically farther away from the rod, so if you put a casting reel on it there would be a sharper angle in your line on the first guide.

Either way you go you will probably have an issue.

10. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i gues ill get more gear this winter, 2 new rods and a reel, still love the feel of them solaris but man id hate to have it in a holder and a big 70 pound blue slamed it dowm, i know nothing about the streath of grighite, but they shure are nice to hold