Spinning Rod recommendations

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Catman 1964, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Catman 1964

Catman 1964 New Member

New Mexico
    I am looking for suggestions for spinning rods. I fish the Rio Grande and various resorvoirs in New Mexico there are Flatheads in the Rio and channels in the Reservoirs.
  2. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

I would purchase a rod for the species that you are most likely to target. A 10' MH or H rod is overdoing it for eater channels, on the other hand, a 6' M rod may break on your first flattie. Of course you could purchase rods for both, and drive that significant other in your life nuts. :D

3. the_nis

the_nis Member

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    I agree with Ray. It all depends on what size/type cats you're going for. I have different sized setups for whatever I am targeting that particular day.
  4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

Supply NC
  5. cathunter 472

cathunter 472 New Member

I would go with an uglystick catfish rod. You can still have fun reeling in small cats and be able to reel in bigger ones.
  6. rwbrown1

rwbrown1 New Member

Tulsa, OK
    Here are some ideas. (mine, of course)
    I have just purchased three spinning rods that should cover just about anything I'm ever likely to encounter. I will use them (in various combinations) with a Shimano 4500 and an old Mitchell 306:

1. A 9 foot ugly stick med. action single foot guides (channels, stripers and general messing around.) Small for larger 20lb.+ fish but "do-able".
    2. A 10 foot Cabelas King Kat (not a "Pro") for most bank fishing and non-flathead fishing.(although I'll bet it would work OK on most flatheads.
    3. A 9 foot Quantum "Big Cat". It should handle almost anything I can. (Lower section is like a telephone pole and built real nice.)

All of these rods were very resonably priced and should do for my spinning arsenal. Now to work on the baitcasting gear.(maybe a Big Cat, or Ugly Stick Tiger and an Abu 7000?)