Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some of the best spinning rods you guys are using these days?

my criteria

7-8’
MH
1-piece
Must be strong enough to toss 3-8oz lead+a big bluegill.
A warrantee is a plus. I broke several rods over the years, some of it was abuse, some just bad luck.

let me know thanks

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
So many big cat rods that are good these days.
Rippinlips
Whiskerseeker
Big Cat Fever
BnM
Slimecatrods
Toughestfrickenrods
Madkatz
Shattered Cat
Shakespere Uglystik
Etc etc

Since you're not using much weight the sky's the limit. As far as warranty Imho madkatz has the best. Lifetime warranty. No questions asked the first year whether you run it over, slam it in the door, struck by lightening, etc etc The owner doesn't care. After the first year you get 1/2 off a new one. I'm really liking the new toughestfrickenrods. They're a full carbon blank. Only 8oz and can handle over 20oz with ease. You even have lots of good options at bass pro, cabelas, academy etc.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So many big cat rods that are good these days.
Rippinlips
Whiskerseeker
Big Cat Fever
BnM
Slimecatrods
Toughestfrickenrods
Madkatz
Shattered Cat
Shakespere Uglystik
Etc etc

Since you're not using much weight the sky's the limit. As far as warranty Imho madkatz has the best. Lifetime warranty. No questions asked the first year whether you run it over, slam it in the door, struck by lightening, etc etc The owner doesn't care. After the first year you get 1/2 off a new one. I'm really liking the new toughestfrickenrods. They're a full carbon blank. Only 8oz and can handle over 20oz with ease. You even have lots of good options at bass pro, cabelas, academy etc.
Ramon I really appreciate you taking the time with this post! Looks like I got some shopping to do. It’s been a while since I’ve posted here, a lot of these brands are not familiar to me. Seems like cat fishing is super popular these days, I’m not surprised there are so many companies making catfish specific products and gear. Thanks again!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd have a look at Rippin lips nice rods for the money
I could be wrong but I believe I saw you’re using madcatz medium rods in a few of your earlier posts? How have those been so far? I was torn between M or MH. I have several of both currently with my other rods and lately have been preferring an M action. We don’t have 100lb fish in our river as far as I know and I rarely fish heavy cover so the M has been good to me.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I could be wrong but I believe I saw you’re using madcatz medium rods in a few of your earlier posts? How have those been so far? I was torn between M or MH. I have several of both currently with my other rods and lately have been preferring an M action. We don’t have 100lb fish in our river as far as I know and I rarely fish heavy cover so the M has been good to me.
No I've been using Rippin lips rods in medium action so far I'm liking them a lot but as of yet no big flatheads caught on them only Channel catfish and a turtle 😅 I went with a medium action to keep it fun and a big flathead by me as probably 40#

·
Premium Member
Bill. South Dakota
2,670 Posts
Have a Team Catfish spinner. Except mine is 10ft 2 piece. Got it on a xmas special of buy reel for 100 and they throw in rod. Last week on Missouri could cast 12oz and small bait no problem.

Pole did have good bend in it from current in holder. Upper foot or so. Current was running 4 to 5 mph when boat was allowed to drift.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No I've been using Rippin lips rods in medium action so far I'm liking them a lot but as of yet no big flatheads caught on them only Channel catfish and a turtle 😅 I went with a medium action to keep it fun and a big flathead by me as probably 40#
How has the Fox been treating you lately? I’ve been out several times last two weeks and have been skunked. 3 times during the day after work on my kayak (4pm-9pm) and one time at night on the boat. The bite was incredible for me a month ago but now it’s dead.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts