spinning reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Ruger 454, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    How about a couple suggestions on a high line cap. reels under 80$ that y"all really like.
    Thanks again, Mike

2. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    CatMax from Bass Pro shops.I loved mine till it decided to belong to a new person with sticky fingers.

3. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    How much capacity and what line size and type? Mono? Super line?

Pflueger Contender 7580 holds 260 yards of 25 pound test and have worked great for me over the past few years. I have a couple of them that I bought in 04 if I remember correctly and have not had one single issue with them. i think I gave around $79 -$89 each for the Pfluegers when they first came out. I also have a couple of cheaper Okuma Avenger reels that are very good for the money, around $40-$50 each. I also have a couple of Mitchell 306x that don't hold as much line but they are pretty good quality and easy on the wallet as around $40-$45 each.
    Hope this helps,
    David

4. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    ......if you're willing to pay $120 i would highly reccomend a shimano baitrunner. The baitrunner feature has it's own drag setting, and has very high line capacity. Take care of it and you can hand it down to your grandkids 40 years down the road......

5. catman fl

catman fl New Member

State:
    fl
    I agree, I have 4 baitrunners. 2 of them are 12 years old & I used them in salt water fishing for sharks. never had a problem.

robin

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The best spinning reel I
    've ever owned is a Black and Gold Penn 650. It is capable of holding plenty of 20 or 30 lb line. Capable of landing any fish you hook into. It is in the price range you mentioned.

7. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Mitchell 486

This old old reel cranks in the Flats better than my 90 size Okuma and my other 3 large spining reels.

If I needed a large spining reel right now I'd have to buy a used one in the lower ratio model...not sure of the number on it. The newer reels just don't have it. I guess most all want a 5 to 1 ratio and that ain't got no gahonnas, LOL.

Too bad I can not find anything new in spining that would work better for me :sad2:

:wink:

8. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brother Dave;
    I'm like Brother Mike, how about some more details to your question?
    And I might add, REMEMBER, you get what you pay for! Just a friendly warning!:wink:
    I have a Fin-Nor OS-9500 that I am totally in love with but it's out of your price range. You might want to look at some of the Okuma line of Spinning Reels.
    But lets have some more details and latitude here first!
    Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post, for now!]]]]]

9. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    yeah, but they make that annoying noise when u reel in!!

10. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I suggest the Spheros you can get the 12000 model. I don't personally own one but have heard many good things about it. I have its sister model the Shimano Sedona and the Sahara in the larger size before they stopped making the larger Sahara and have done well with them. The Pflueger Medalist is also a good reel someone mentioned the Contender but that was discontinued so you might not be able to find it. I have heard good things about the Fin-Nor's Ahab but they are pricey. Also Mr. Baitkiller mentioned the lower gear ratio's might want to look at that especially if you are targetting larger fish that will come in handy. I noticed that when I fished my Saharas(which have a higher ratio) then fished the Pflueger noticed the extra cranking power made a difference.

11. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va
    i've had good performance with daiwa black gold series.

my new penn slammer liveliner is good so far also, only landed a 20 lb. with it though.

vaughn

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Okuma Coronado CD90 at $79.99 on line.Bait feeding SS geared and sealed drag for saltwater use.Used for the bait fishing of 100+ lb.30-50 MPH pelagic saltwater fish of the Atlantic.I believe mine to be in the same class as my USA made 345 GTI Penn level wind reel with the exception the Penn will hold twice the line at 600 yds.of 30 lb.Bass Pro mono. and the Okuma 300.

With the right rod you can fish fresh and saltwater with them.

I have Diawa reels that I used off the Georgia coast for the above fishing and held up well,but they no longer make the models I still have.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

13. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    Thanks guys, I think I have found what I want,okuma 65 series at catfish con.

Thanks again, Mike

14. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Mike,
    I think you will be happy with he Okuma reels. I like mine, for the money they are hard to beat.:big_smile: Let us know what you think if and when you get them.

Thanks
    David

15. Snobal

Snobal New Member

State:
    Canton, OH
    If you haven't ordered one yet, let me suggest looking other places then catfish con. Try ebay or some other online stores to at least compare price. I can get the Okuma Epixor EB50 for the same price after shipping that catfish con wants before shipping on ebay using the "buy it now" feature. Just a suggestion!

16. cameron_krazie

cameron_krazie New Member

State:
    virginia
    Pfluger... I think its how you spell that... They are a good reel for the money...